Help needed to write an software to simulate aberrations on image

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Mustafa Umut Sarac, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello there ,

I found that high aberrations of one of a lens elements at a objective could help the edge effect.
    I need a diy software to play with high aberrations plus their compensation at other lens elements to see this effect on images.

I need your help. I only attented to basic programming course 27 years ago and I dont have any idea to write a software today.

I need everyones contribution , I know matlab can do something but I dont have that software.

I have windows 8 on intel 64 bit.

Where to start , how to write a program runs everyones windows computer ?

Do I need to write everything or is there ready code pieces. I really dont have any idea and internet is too tightly crowded.

Umut

2. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I remember correctly Rodenstock's parent company had a lens design software on their website and it was for free. You could write the software in the language you learned 27 years ago. On the MS website you can download Visual++ and other free programming software they also have a help menue. good luck
    Dominik

3. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dominik and all ,

Is visual ++ related to c ++ , they have same pluses on their names ? I am sorry , I am bit confused from these software sites. And do basic software capable of this purpose ? I dont have any idea how to make a program code to be installed as all other softwares. How to do it ? Is any one who downloaded my software are needed to install visual basic from microsoft later ?

Thank you,
    Umut

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2013
  4. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A quick google turned up:
    Looks like there are plenty of packages available, a few may do what you're looking for without getting in to software design.

5. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Paul ,

I dont want and need to analysis the lens design or I dont want to design a lens.
    But I want to synthesis the lens design softwares results on images.
    I want to play with images and aberrations not lens elements.

Top two softwares are for professional lens designers and extremelly expensive. Oslo is free but very limited. And synopsys is the hardest to use software in the world.

6. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you're looking at seeing how changes in lens design affects an image, perhaps a GIMP plugin may be the way to go - There are a number of plugins for chromatic aberration and lens distortion available, perhaps one of these would provide a starting point.

7. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Paul ,

Yes , its an excellent idea , I liked a lot. I forgot GIMP completely.

Thank you very much indeed.

Umut

8. bernard_L

bernard_L Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Better give up. Software may correct for distortion and lateral chromatic aberration. An optical package (e.g. Zemax, Code V) will generate ray tracing and spot diagram, but I can't see how this will help you correct the image from bad lens.

9. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I am after how multiple aberrations works.

10. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Visual is Visual Basic and has as far as I know little to do with C or C++ but I could be wrong. For images a Java App might be useful