Help needed with my Flexaret Automat

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by timothyingleby, Feb 27, 2007.

1. timothyingleby

timothyingleby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have just bought an old Meopta Flexaret Automat VI TLR camera but there seems to be a problem with its shutter. When I have the back open the shutter seems to work fine but it won’t do anything when I close it back up (either with or without film in). I have made sure that the shutter lock is not on when testing this out and it is really frustrating as I have looked forward to owning this camera for some time and can’t make sense of why it seems to be in working order when the back is open. It would be really appreciated if anyone can offer me advice on this; it could quite easily be a simple thing (other than the above) as I am new to the world of medium format cameras. Thanks.:confused:

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a Va but I doubt that makes a difference.

To the best of my knowledge no interlocks exist so I can't understand why it's not working.

3. Uncle Goose

Uncle Goose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Did you wind the film trough till the counter hits 1?? If not the camera won't fire either.

4. luvcameras

luvcameras Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have an Flexaret VII automat, I think Uncle Goose is right. It's probably the film counter. The shutter gets cocked at the same time as the film advances.

There is a lever at the front right of the camera that can be used to manually cock the shutter too [independently of the film advance] - you could try cocking that and firing.