Help repairing/rebuildingBetax shutter

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Ian Grant, May 23, 2012.

1. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've just won on ebay (and recieved it) an 8" Turner Reich in a Betax 3 shitter, but the shutter's in bits and a spring may be missing, no big deal it was very cheap 99p ($1.55) + postage and I knew this when buying.

However I can't find any shutter repair pages that match this particular Betax 3, hence the post. The cells are good, no optical issues so I'd like to get this lens back up and running.

Ian

2. snederhiser

snederhiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello Ian;
    The old wollensak shutters are hard to find and parts even more difficult. I would look for a Rapax or Graphex shutter, the lens cells may screw in and the benefit of a syncronized shutter. I have seen syncro betax shutters, but very rare. Another avenue would be an Ilex #3, I see quite a few of these on the market. Best regards, Steven.

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks John, I'd found that link but my problem is my Betax #3 looks quite a bit different internally, it's also missing screws and those US thread screws are non existant in the UK :D

However I also have a Betax #4 that has two broken aperture blades and a missing spring, I may have a replacement for this soon and that will then be a donor for screws etc.

The last two Camera fairs I attended I bought 7 good working shutters, 6 at the 1st and one I'd missed (same seller & box) at the 2nd but there was an Alphax which wouldn't cock and it was probably a #3, it might help me out - I have the stall-holders card & contact details and he's less than 15 miles from me :smile:

I gues I could post some images of the shutter as it is and maybe someone will spot what's missing . . . . . .

Ian