Help save me from a D2X

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Frank Petronio, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Frank Petronio

Frank Petronio Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My name is Frank and I'm a digiholic.

I am going to try a Nikon D2X this afternoon. With a zoom lens. I know this is depraved, but I keep getting tempted. I like my little D70 but now I want a bigger "high".

I am going to compare my 4x5 scans from my lowly flatbed to a raw 12mp file. I know I could spend $75 getting Tango scans that would be better, but I know myself too well, and that I'm too cheap to drum scan everything. So I'm kind of thinking that when it comes to making an 11x14 print, the 4x5 flatbed scans (as good as they are, I'm not a total idiot) and the D2X are going to be pretty competitive.

I also know that shooting a 4x5 with an Aero-Ektar handheld is a great way to spend a lot of money on out of focus film.

I may stash my Technika and a few lenses out back just in case, but I kind of like the idea of "getting the shot" no matter what the conditions, which is what a D2X with fast lenses and high ASA can promise.

Heck, I may even swap my old Dynalites for i-TTL battery powered shoe mount flashes on stand adaptors...

I know talking digi-trash is a no-no but I need some counselling.

2. jjstafford

jjstafford Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My fear for you is not that you will experiment with digital, but that you will never recover from the requisite surgical alteration encumbant with The Fall: having your brains sucked out through your nose with a straw.

3. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frank- as a cure, I prescribe 30 days digital abstinence along with 50 sheets of 11x14 film, a Centennial View camera, and a barrel-mount 600mm apo-artar. Failing that, a spanking!

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Go for it. Do it. You'll love it...

...For two months.

And then you'll say things like "this is stupid" and "how do I get any kind of selective focus with this thing?" and you'll end up just using it for selling things on eBay.

5. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Frank, you need a real enlarger. One which can take a LF film, and project the negative on a big sheet of paper. Then you make one 16x20 print of a good 4x5" negative, and compare that to the results from any digital camera.

Colour is no problem either - if you want it pixellated, use your money on a really good scanner.

Here's a picture reduced from a 350 Mb scan of a 5x7" slide: http://www.bruraholo.no/images/Lodalen_GF.jpg and a small bit of it too: http://www.bruraholo.no/images/Lodalen_utsnitt.jpg

Camera and lens cost me less than my digitoy - significantly less.

6. bobbysandstrom

bobbysandstrom Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Frank, I started with digital 5 years ago, eventually bought a 1ds but simultaneously moved into film 4x5 mainly with a little 8x10. My 1ds sits in it's case in the closet! I have 3 words for digital capture... FLAT, FLAT, FLAT... and THAT's THAT!

Give me film, and give me depth.

7. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This thread has the makings of a great F.A.R.T. !

cool... :smile:

8. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    lol
    I loved Aggies suggestion for the F.A.R.T. forum!!!

9. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yeah dude....buy it and get all the good glass. then i'll buy it in six months for about $500. cool.

10. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My wife is a substance abuse counselor, although her clientele is not wealthy enough to do digital, mostly they resort to meth and crack, I think I can use some of her experiences to help you. She tells me that a spiritual component is key to any recovery program. I think that what you need is a visit to the Church of Rodinal. When you give yourself over to Rodinal and admit your powerlessness with digital, you are on your way to recovery.

Oh, and don't forget to make amends for those images that you could have given a proper home on film, but instead captured only as electrons. You must take responsibility for those hurt by your actions.

Oh, and I trust you are not exposing any children to a "home digital lab." I hear that the fumes and waste from them can infect a child's mind and affect their ability to discern high quality images permanently.

11. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go for it. You'll love it. And you have a great time with the 22" calibrated monitor. And calibrating it every week isn't too much of a problem.

Have a great time with the your new dual processor mainframe. The upgrade on all your software is about the same as the price of the AF-S 80-200. Except for Photoshop.

The printer, and inks, and all the paper. Well, it's less than a car, but remember it's no different from having that E-6 line in the basement- you have to run it everyday.

And the whole archival issue is overblown. Those engineers that have been screaming about the CD / DVD volatility are the same ones who argue about global warming, fossil fuel, and frankenfood.

And you'll love getting up and going to the gym every morning to offset the time you spend sitting on your butt trying to sort out mask layers and the history brush.

Oh. Find a good chiropractor while you're at it.

AND the best part will watching those huge prints you'll make fade away like a hershey bar on a hot day, because you'll forget how low Wilhelm's 80 lux illumination really is.

How much do you want for the Linhof ?

don

"This suspense is terrible. I hope it lasts."

12. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    right on, don !!

13. jjstafford

jjstafford Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dollars
    Invested
    Gathering
    Illusions
    To
    Artistic
    License

D2X == Digital to X-digital (as in was, former, bitheaven)
    Kodak leads people from digital to film, where there is none.
    What a company!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Prank, if you run true to form, in the fullness of time, i.e., real soon now, you'll reveal that you've had one for a while and are ready to offer it for sale on eBay. Just post your listing on eBay and be done with it.

16. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Why not buy a Leica MP with a couple of lenses instead? That way you won't have to make any more hard decisions about what to buy for a few months.

Sandy

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  18. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I thought this thread would be about an Omega enlarger....:sad:

19. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I couldn't save myself...:sad:

Art.

20. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I sure wouldn't put a picture of a dead cow on the front page of my website and call it "fine art".

21. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Man, we are harsh!

22. panchromatic

panchromatic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let me give my two cents:

I have the D70s (which I won in a sales contest, that makes owning it kosher lol) and I do use limitedly (pretty much only for band photography of my buddies bands) and I have shot the D2X, and it is an impressive camera, but in my opinion it just doesn't stand up to a 4X5. Its sacrafising quality to save money and time. If everyone did that then there would be no qualilty products in this world.

Though I love my F100 with TTL flash, its a godsent in flash photography.

23. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    .. but fair... Harsh, but fair... :tongue:

24. jjstafford

jjstafford Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He couldn't find a dead horse.

25. gareth harper

gareth harper Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you are in the UK, I'd be interested in buying your 1Ds. I need a DSLR, but if there is one thing that really puts me off, well it's those small sensors. Now a 1Ds, Mmmmmm.

26. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I dont think that is really a dead cow......

it is more than likely a prop