Help! Senior show Lith Print won't work at size 20x24

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Rhea, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Rhea

Rhea Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cheers!

I am a student that has been learning about Lith printing this past semester. My school's department is not very encouraging of any aesthetic outside of their narrow focus of the medium, and have been teaching myself alternative processes for the past year. It's time for my Senior Show and I have been Lith printing my infrared negatives on small sized paper from Oriental and Foma. They've been coming out beautifully. For the show I was to go up to size 20x24 and ordered the same exact Oriental VC at that size. I also tried some old Kentmere, Ilford and Kodak Fine-art that was stored in the studio. None of them would Lith at that size. My negs don't work that big for traditionally printing and am being told to resort to digital prints. PLease Help if you know why Lith printing that big won't work or if you know a paper/chemistry combination that does! I'm using Arista Developer now. Thanks!

Best,

Rhea

2. An Le-qun

An Le-qun Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What kind of not printing are you getting? Is it that infectious development is just not occurring, or is it some other problem?

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How much exposure adjustment are you making going from small to big?

4. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In a pinch, go back to the Foma MG.

The Oriental you might have been working from may have been the old stuff. New stuff will not lith. The Kodak Elite will lith, but it is fickle.

I have favorites, but if something needed to be lithed right now, it would be on the Foma MG classic. Most predictable.

As mentioned, when you print that big you are trying to pump a lot of light through a small negative, and exposure times must go way up. Way, way up.

5. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
  7. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +2 but to make things quick, seems the larger 20x24 stock is not the same paper as the smaller size. I know some of the Oriental papers are rebranded from other manufacturers so I would not be shocked if the 20x24 is not remotely the same source paper as the smaller paper you have. Or a major reformulation...

8. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two papers that are consistent and always work in lith:
    Ilford MGWT semimatte or glossy
    Foma Fomatone Classic 131 (glossy) or 132 (matte)