HELP!.....split development with Glycerin, anybody done it?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Jorge, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ok, here is my problem. I have this negative that the foregorund prints great in a higher contrast and the sky in a lower contrast, so I am thinking of using the glycerin technique as described in the SUllivan/Weese book. But since this is a 12x20 and I have never done it before, I need some pointers.

Is there any risk of uneven development? how about one developer running into the different part? Should I start with the high contrast first, or the low contrast?

Ok, you pt/pd gurus, help me out here....:smile:

2. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Jorge

I often use glycerin development for my platinum print. In fact I use different product so to keep thing simple I prefer to use a new fresh developper for each print. When I do a series I sometimes use a bath developer for it . But it often happen that in one priting session I print different seies print and then I use glycerin development.

I've rarely done split development but it happen that on some image I get the same problem as you talk about or I want to mask a print and do it chimically by using different concentration of developer (1 glycerin-1 PO vs 3-1) or different developer (1Gl -1 Po vs 1Gl - 1 Citrate Pot.)

so let's answer your questions.
    No you want get any uneven development , for this you need to well brush for the first 30 sec -1minute depending on the temp after you just need to brush every minutes. ( it also depend on the temp of the dev, hot quicker , colder slower)

Using to developper is a little harder but this depend on the image ,if there is a sky line , it will be easy. But if there are trees coming from the dark and going to the sky you should take care of the developper.
    In this case I prefer to first apply a first layer of pure glycerin and then apply the developper glycerin mix.

If you work with the same dev. with different contrast thing will be easy. I start with the high contrast or low contrast developper depending how big they are , I always start with the bigger zone starting from the top o it and getting to the developer limit , then I use the other developer.

I don't do it often but I 've never get visible marks, just need to get al around your prints , 2 or more brushes (large and small), dilute developer in glycerin and pure glycerin.

I will try to rent a digital camera to show the way I work , sometime images explain more than words.

3. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Christian....I think I have the idea, did not think of using a mix of glycerin/developer. The photos would be nice...or how about an article...:smile:

4. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Jorge

I should do an article on it, in fact I was working on a book in french which contain all these but I don't have enough time to ended my test and my book, as all here I have to pay my bills and I truely prefer to spent my time out with my camera than in front of my computer screen. I still work on it a little but I delay the printing.

I start using different developer when I work with Satista+ . in fact instead of using silver nitrate . I develop part of the image with gold, platinum or palladium. I am still testing all these but I need a little more time to ended my test with other noble salt .

I remark that some noble salt don't work easily as main component or additive in a calssis Ferric develop by oxalate system. But it give better and interesting result with metalic developer like with Satista.

I will think of making an article in english that' s quicker to do than a book.

5. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks, I think it would be appreciated.

6. Mateo

Mateo Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Jorge,

How did the glycerin developement work out? I've got a bunch of Pt #3 that I don't use and finally found some glycerin that wasn't spiked with rose petals so I'm thinking of trying pure Pt.

7. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It worked great, just make sure you dont have any dichromate in the developer, if you do it bleaches the print and leaves a mark. My first try I did it with my stock developer #1 and it has about .4 ml of pot dichromate/200 ml developer. It still bleached the print. Use fresh mixed devloper, mix it with the glycerine and go for it.