Help: Spots on My Negitives

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by ccvalentino, Aug 4, 2012.

1. ccvalentino

ccvalentino Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,

I've now processed two rolls of film using the Tetenal C-41 press kit. Each time I've gotten white streaks / spots on my negatives, which are removable with some alcohol and a micro fiber cloth.

I'm following the directions and washing the film with the stabilizer on the final step. They don't look like water spots, but some type of chemical left over from development.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris DSC_0002.jpg

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe use a final rinse using Photoflo?

3. ccvalentino

ccvalentino Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I thought about that, but read somewhere that the stablizer was already a wetting agent. I'm tempted to do a final rinse with distilled water and/or photoflo. Will this have any effect on the negatives? My gut says now, as if I can clean them with alcohol then I should be able to use a wetting agent or water in the end.

4. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    wet first and then use the alcohol cleaner if needed. It's residue from your wetting agent/photo flo/etc., I'd wash, dry and when it's 95% dry, use a very soft negative wipe to clean if you need to. Or just master the art of washing film properly.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As it is C-41, you need to be sure that the stabilizer is the final step, and that it stays on the film after it dries.

Otherwise, it will be vulnerable to damage over time.

6. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't know what you mean by this statement. The film is already washed and needs to sit in the stabilizer bath for the recommended length of time. The stabilizer bath must be the last step in the process and the film dried after it. The film should not be wet aftyer the stabilizer bath.

For your problem use a soft lint free cloth moistened with 70% isopropyl alcohol and gently wipe the base (non-emulsion side) of the film to remove any residue. In the future use a soft sponge moistened with water and squeezed as dry as possible to wipe off any stabilizer on the film before drying.

7. ccvalentino

ccvalentino Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ok, I'll give this a try on the next run.

8. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Perhaps you should try mixing your stabilizer using distilled or demineralized water. The last step in the process is the stabilizer, after that you hang it up to dry, so if you mix it with tap water that contains too many minerals, it will dry leaving the minerals on the film. A lot of guys who do B&W find that when photo-flo is the last step, this really helps.

9. ccvalentino

ccvalentino Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks. I mixed the stabilizer with distiller water in attempt to prevent this.

10. damonff

damonff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I put photoflo in my stabilizer.