Help!! Website:PC/Mac display difference!!

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Tom Stanworth, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I have set up a website (www.thomasstanworth.com) but the colours, contrast etc are so radically different on a Mac vs the PCs I set it up on! I have access to two PCs and set it up so it worked well for both (and other PCs I have seen it on) but seeing it on a Mac - image hue/saturation is hideous! The pale and mid grey tones on the page bckground are instead ultra pale and the subtle warm tones are instead sickly sepia. If I set up the images for the Mac standard settings, then on a PC the images look overly dark low contrast and basically dead, which is not what I want!

I realise that there may be all sorts of calibration issues here, but the Macs are so incredibly different that i wonder whether there is a solution that deals with this apparent gulf. I saw under the display settings for the Mac I now have constant access to that you can switch the screen gamma between the standard for the Mac (1.8) and that for the PC (2.2) and the preview option showed that this makes a huge difference. Is this the issue?

Can anyone advise me on how to tackle the huge gulf between Mac and PC display? Its a macro difference rather than a tweaks issue - I just can't believe the difference! Iwas hoping to tweak the image hue on a number of images which need some adjustment but they ALL look awful on the Mac!!!!

Rgds

PS I fully admit to being a digital/computer/website rookie! I just reset the Mac to medium screen brightness and a gamma of 2.2 and it is a better match but still very different!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009
  2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try a grey tone scale on the Mac, it may way off, there's one here in the Library page. It's a Tiff file but you can save as a JPEG.

Site looks fine on my laptop.

Ian

3. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If the images you're using are GIFs then I doubt this is your problem, but just in case if you're using JPEGs:

Safari on the Mac is one of the very few browsers that correctly interprets the colour space of images and renders them accordingly. If the images are coming out of Photoshop marked up as 'Adobe RGB' colourspace or similar, then Safari will convert the colours accordingly to display. Internet Explorer et al just dumbly ignore the colourspace setting and treat everything as sRGB.

To make sure all browsers show images the same, make sure when you export the photos from Photoshop (or whatever) you convert the colour profile to 'sRGB'. Safari will then obey the colour space in the file and render it as sRGB (IE will carry on ignoring what's in the file and display as sRGB regardless, but that's what you want of course.)

4. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don't know what they are supposed to look like, but it looks fine on my Mac. You may want to try a different profile in Photoshop for your images that is better suited for web display. I see you used Flash for the design of your site, if you have Fireworks as well, you can prep your images in bulk for the web with different options that may be better suited for you. My site uses a Flash plug-in that made the images extra blurry, so I had to over-sharpen them in Photoshop to make them display properly on the web. Sometimes you just have to do weird stuff to make it work.

5. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all! I have opened them in Safari (on both the Mac and PC) and they look the same as in Firefox so there is at least parity between the various browsers (well thats one variable that seems to be OK!) - they are all jpegs and seem to have been output in sRGB. The difference between Mac and PC remains however.

Now I think I will have to view the site on as wide a variety of 'untweaked' laptops as possible to ensure the best balance overall. I guess I cannot hope for people to have calibrated monitors etc so will have to go for some sort of an average. I think I will tone down the saturation a little so that at worst they will appear cool and straight mono rather than jaundiced on those screens pushing out higher saturation (this seems to be what the Mac is doing vs the PCs). I have noticed that the saturation is higher on the newer PCs I have been looking at it on and lowest saturation on my old compaq.

Is there a very noticeable sepia hue as you are viewing it or is it overall fairly subtle (allowing for the image to image variation which i will deal with)??

Thanks all for your help... such fast responses!

Rgds,

Tom

6. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On my hyper neurotically calibrated Mac, it looks awesome...safari, + firefox = same

7. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Set the Mac to 2.2 to to a Mac site for directions on simple calibration.
    Easy. Yours is off.

8. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see a noticeable sepia hue, but it is fairly subtle - if that's not a confusing answer! Not the kind of sickly hue that sepia can get, but a light sepia. Definitely there. I like slight colour tones rather than heavy ones, and it looks good to me. Many of them look like no more than a very warm-toned image.

I'm looking on a Mac CRT monitor calibrated and set at gamma 2.2

I think they look good. And the photographs themselves are excellent.

9. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On Firefox you may need to enter 'about:config' (no quotes) like a URL and then look for color management settings and enable them, usually a boolean value set TRUE. Depending on your computer, OS, and how you got Firefox, color management may be on or off. I'm on a PC box, but using linux with Firefox and color management enabled, screen set to 2.2, and your web page looks very good.

Nothing to report on here Safari or MSIE.

Lee

10. phc

phc Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'm using a current iMac 24 and it looks pretty good to me. Pretty damn good as a matter of fact!

I've always felt that these things vary so much that all you can do is calibrate your monitor, get the pics looking the best you can, and set them free. They'll look a little different on every monitor out there, be they Mac or PC.

Cheers, Paul.

11. Herzeleid

Herzeleid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are certainly sepia noticeable enough, it varies from photo to photo (slightly in hue and saturation).

I checked the website with IE and Safari on PC, they look identical to me.

12. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice photography. The site looks great on my Mac.

13. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Mac and a PC side by side, the site background and images are decidedly warmer on the Mac. I haven't calibrated the monitor for a while, but I'm confident that it isn't all that far off. FWIW, the Mac drives a Dell monitor, and the PC is a Dell laptop.

14. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    All the pics were cut in half on my Mac running Firefox 2.0.

15. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm running Safari on a not calibrated Macbook Pro (2 years old) and they look great. A slight sepia, but it varies from image to image, so looks intentional. Not knowing what you want them to look like, it's tough to know. But I wouldn't call it sickly or pale.

16. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Deja vu .. all over again.

Many moons ago, I made the statement that trying to correct "wet" images from PC viewing was not a good way to go ... and was HEAPED with misery, i.e., "You KLUTZ - CALIBRATE your monitor!!"

My "direction" is to make EXHIBITION "wet" prints - not to produce PC images accepted by all. I hope we recognize that variations do exist in this electronic system and, I guess, some degree of tolerance and... squinting is really necessary.

:

17. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It needs to be viewed in fullscreen to show full image area. should be no cropping when viewed that way. Because of the way the site is set up they are rather small if sized to view correctly in normal screen mode on a small monitor. I need to put in a comment on the opening screen to select full screen mode - thanks for reminding me.

Thanks everyone. I think I will try to work them so that they don't exceed the max saturation that I am happy with on a Mac and then accept further reduced saturation on the PC. I will also standardise the saturation from image to image.

I reset the mac to gamma 2.2 and it helped but there is still a significant increase in brightness and warmth on the mac screen.

Thanks so much everyone!

Tom

18. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks excellent on my Intel iMac. Great simple site layout Tom.

19. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks fine on my iMac G5. Also, I enjoyed the photos.

20. CBG

CBG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks good on these browsers on my PC:

Chrome 1.0.154.43
    Firefox 2.0.0.18
    IE 7.0.5730.13
    Iron 0.2.152.0

At a quick glance, all looked the same to me. No rendering issues for me.

Some wonderful photography there by the way!