Help! What Am I Looking at Here?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by mmonahan86, Apr 4, 2014.

1. mmonahan86

mmonahan86 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Ladies and Gents,

A friend of mine has passed away and left this 4X5 camera to his wife. His wife is looking to sell, but has no idea what she has here. As I shoot 35mm and 120, I have no idea either.

Please take a look at the attached photo and tell me:

1. What brand of camera, lens, and camera mount are pictured here?

2. Give your best est. of the kit's value.

3. What type of photographer would get the most use out of this kit? (i.e. portrait, wedding, architectural, nature, pro, hobbyist, beginner, student, etc. etc.)

Attached Files:

2. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    (1) Sinar
    (2) $20
    (3) Studio

I could be off on one of these.

3. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    $20 are you kidding me?

4. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too much?

5. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I'm no expert, but probably about $400-500.

Jon

6. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jon is much closer to the real value. $20 won't buy the lens board these days.

7. silveror0

silveror0 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sinar F-series (not sure which F model, though). The lens/shutter alone could be worth hundreds, depending on condition.

8. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Jon is in the ballpark.

The camera looks to be a Sinar F. They usually go for around $300.00 on Ebay without lens and in nice shape.

I can't tell what lens you have from your photo so I can't honestly give you a price on it.

Monorails are great for beginners to learn on. They are usually inexpensive and have full movements. They are great for architecture, portraits and still lifes. You can use them in the field for landscape but most want a lighter and easier to pack field camera.

9. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On the other points: The type of photographer most likely to use this type of kit is also the type less likely to have the $4-500 to buy it, I think..., but then I combine the value structure of a cheapskate with the financial acumen of an art teacher (in other words, none at all). I believe the value, as I stated, is close to Jon's estimate, but artists, still life photographers, studio hobbyists, etc, are the market, and a real world sale depends greatly on where it is sold and even on what day. If the right person sees the kit, maybe the value will be realized, if not, I would expect it to sell at closer to $200. The other suggested users have many options for what format and what type of camera they carry around, and a monorail is not easy to deal with outside of a studio.

Just sayin'

10. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd put it closer to $200, but yes, it's an F. I just bought an F from KEH for a bit less than $200, and they still have another one in inventory for $179.

11. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The original F's have the chrome and I think all of the later incarnations were all black. I'm no expert either though.

12. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Really? I'm not doubting you but I am surprised.

They have been going on Ebay for right at $300.00. I parted out one myself a year or so a go. They are worth more as parts than together. :smile:

13. jcc

jcc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oops, I missed a zero. Yeah, $200 is about right. Depending on the lens, which looks like a 135mm or 150mm, which should add a couple hundred more.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. silveror0

silveror0 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you tell us everything inscribed on the lens, you can expect meaningful comments as to its worth. Look thru the glass and report any "haze" or little black specks, etc. If you feel comfortable about trying the shutter operation, give it a whirl but don't force anything, and report any stickiness or sluggishness.

16. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Are you a Troll, I have heard about them- $20 what nonsense

17. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I use this type of kit I would expect this to go higher not lower than $400.

18. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am interested in the Beseler slide copier in the picture.

19. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    parts

An old camera is worth what you can get for it. At your local thrift shop, very little. On the Internet, quite a bit. If you parted it out, sold it bit by bit, it would fetch a lot of money. Looks first class to me and I think $300 is cheap. And I have a lot of $5 great but worthless olde cameras. J just bought a Kodak Jiffy folder for $5 and I love it.

20. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The lens looks like a Symmar-S or something, it's new enough to be MC at least. If the shutter works and glass is clean, expect $100-150 just for that.
    I was looking for an LF camera last year, anything with Sinar on it went for $300 or more so I rapidly gave up on them and ended up with a Toyo.

21. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The value depends on the location, it's worth far more if it's outside the US, or sold outside the US.

Ian

22. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sell it to Bob C. He has offered "higher than $500) hehe :smile:

I own a 150 Symmar-S and it doesn't look like that so I don't think that's what it is.

I might consider it if I had extra money, once i sell my 4x5 field for an 8x10 field, I'll want a nice studio camera for macro work. But no scratch now...

23. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Did I not mention that I use this camera, so thanks but I will pass... But when one values the equipment some use here at the price of two cups of coffee and a muffin to go from Starbucks, well it tells me something about that person here on APUG.

Many photographers, pro and amature, lab owners and technicians purchased their equipment at retail value back in the good old days ,{well even today} never considered the prices they paid impossible. It was equipment needed to do the type of work they had to do and would always find the scratch.
    The new digital phase system is worth over 50k and finally it delivers image quality that the OP's camera is wondering about a price.

It is crazy/absurd too me that people will pay upwards of 6k for a SLR digital camera, but a high quality film camera is considered worthless.
    Though I work in PS day in and day out , use equipment that is scary expensive, I have never taken a digital photo, other than a camera phone snap. So film
    equipment is worthwhile to me and maybe I would be the sucker that would pay more than $500 for it as Stoned Nyc suggests. But a big difference in my world is that
    I would actually use it and treasure it and not see if I could make a quick buck on it.

It seems lately , this forum and large format forum is flooded with Ebay mentality members who seem to be active only to buy and sell and offer little to the discussion of photography.

24. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You have to consider the market and the object.

The supply of these is high and the demand is low.

It's also just a box, I know that sucks to hear but, I've never thought the camera portion of most LF cameras to be worth that much considering it's mostly air and I can produce the same images using a cardboard box (which I have also used) I would value the lenses much higher and willing to pay more for a lens, even in the thousands.

It's like the Hassleblad thing, it's mostly just a damn square box but because in order to use the lenses you need a body, Hassleblad can sell the body for a high price, because they've got you by the b@11$ but that doesn't mean it's that much in value based on labor and research/testing.

Especially metal bodies made in factory vs handmade wooden items which are hand crafted.

Yes yes, tooling and production line costs, but let's get real, the labor if a wooden hand lacquered camera is of much higher value than a metal mold.

Anyway, again, it's supply and demand, the value drops when the need for the item is lessened.

A Motorola cell phone from the 90's can have a new battery added and it will turn on just fine, but there are few cell towers running actual cells anymore that support that communication system, so the value of the item is very low because it may only function in some 3rd world countries who have not gotten newer technologies.

That's reality, it doesn't make it fair, but the person who bought that cell phone new shouldn't complain when he can only sell it for a cup of Starbucks coffee as a prop for a period movie...

25. Rick Rosen

Rick Rosen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This is a Sinar F+ camera. The original Sinar F had a smaller, square rail-to-triopd clamp. The larger rail clamp here, the same one as used on the Sinar P, was added to the Sinar F+ model. It doesn't appear to have an updated ground glass back so I would guess it is an original F+, vintage late '70's or '80's. I own one myself and gave seminars for Sinar. You can find tons of them advertised on Ebay with lenses for $400-$600 range.

26. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    You get tired of these one post wonders pumping for info they could find on ebay or KEH. I actually thought jcc's answer was appropriate and entertaining.:laugh: