Help! What did I do to my "new" 503cxi?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by copake_ham, Oct 4, 2006.

1. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    So I just got my "new via eBay" Hassey 503cxi - my first foray into MF.

So with absolute ignorance and stupidity, I wound the crank on the side figuring to just dry shoot the camera and hear a nice click.

Well in wound real nice - but I cannot trigger the shutter!

I am guessing it needs a battery? I also have no idea where it would go (this eBay special did not include a manual). I removed the lens and see a small silver button/knob but it doesn't seem to turn.

I'm going over to Craig's Camera Manual website now to get a manual - meanwhile, any suggestion on what to do to either get a battery in this (and what kind) and/or get the shutter to fire?

2. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    pull the dark slide

3. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Dave,

Thanks, it worked. But something seems weird here. I tried doing that earlier and it didn't fire. Now I read your post and it does.

Do you have special "powers"? :surprised:

4. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps he has great camera-fu?

5. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    As Bugs Bunny would say" "Hmmm, it's a possibility..."

Meanwhile, I did order a manual (acutally both a user and repair) so I can actually figure out this beauty.

Oh, gosh, why did I do this to myself? Now I'm getting GAS pangs - additional lenses, backs, VF's - OMG! :surprised: :D

6. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm thinking of taking the Pentax 67 route, myself. Seems like a bulky old thing, but from what I've seen it takes good photos.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2006
  7. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cameras don't take pictures, people do, the camera is just a light tight box that allows the film to be maintained in a light tight storage area until such time as a person decides it is time to push the shutter button and allow a specific amount of light in to make the exposure.

Dave

8. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dave, if I didn't know you better I'd think you were trying to discourage the young lady from acting on her impulses.

Cheers,

Dan

9. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dan,

I would never do anything like that, but to understand that the camera don't take the picture, the person does, is basic photography 101, I learned that in my first class many moons ago, as far as the pentax 67, it is probably one of the best MF cameras ever made, I have owned many of them over the years.

Dave

10. Rolleijoe

Rolleijoe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Very interesting Dave, but I do take exception with your quote of "concentrate on the photo not the glass".

If it's not Zeiss (for all formats) or Leica (35mm specific), then it's just not worth it. Personally, I refuse to shoot with any other glass. And you can't tell me there's no difference.

11. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well if you knew who I was, you would understand my signature, and after being a pro for over 25 years now, I bet there may be a few areas I can show you some differences..

So we will leave it at that, as I know based on your unsolicited answer to me, about something we are not even talking about, that makes you uninformed in my opinion. As far as your snobbish answer, what ever floats your boat, I know a good many great photographers, that don't shoot Zeiss or Lieca and have made a DAMN good living, as for me, I have ordered two Zeiss lenses for my Minolta AF system in the last month and looking forward to see how they pan out. One thing good that Sony did after taking over the Minolta digital line, was they are working with Zeiss on lenses that are backwards compatible with my Minoltal film cameras, now I will get an opportunity to see if that are that good.

By the way it is "Focus on the picture, Not on the Glass!" not concentrate, and it is not a quote, it is my trademarked slogan..

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass

PS, just in case you didn't figure it out, my signature has nothing to do with lenses..!

:D

12. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Yes, I just don t know what they are...thanks so much:D

13. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh, oh...I didn't mean to start one of these "gear head" things.

Jeez, and I shoot Nikon in 35mm - not I'm really conflicted.

Hey, this isn't going to turn into one of those threads like thay have on RFF where people start dragging out all kinds of lens comparisons?

Oh, no! :surprised:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey George,

Not from me, it is quite obiviously this guy didn't know what he was talking about..

Look forward to seeing some shots from your new baby..

Of course I did forget to mention, I am making a who bunch of little tiny screens for a leiceflex right now, so maybe my glass does stand up to the big boys!

LOL

:D

Dave

16. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Dave,

Yeh, I don't know where Rolleijoe was coming from - I don't think he as a clue as to what you mean by "glass".

Yo, joe, Dave is talking "ground glass" - he makes it!

Dave,

Give me a few weeks on the pics - but I am really looking forward to this - some 25 years ago when I first got a 35mm I started wanting to try MF - but only now am I getting there.

Whoopee!

17. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank goodness you clarified this... I thought you may have gone into the picture framing business. :D

18. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, Rollei certainly seems to agree with you that there's a difference. Guess that's why they switched to Schneider, eh?

19. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm one of the people participating in Toy Camera Day and I also consider some of my best shots to come from the crappiest camera I own. I know that people make photos. I just prefer having light tight boxes that I like to use.

To clarify, I meant that the lenses are supposedly very good and the body is built like a tank. I don't expect the thing to take pictures by itself...but I do think it will perform well enough to allow me to take the photos I want to take.

20. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Half baked and the oven has gone out. The oven light is not working but the soup is said to be superior to all others. Now if I can just find mt botique ladle.

21. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stephanie,

The pentax is a very good system, I have owned several of them over the years...I just couldn't resist, you opened yourself up for that one..

No hard feelings intended, hopfully no hard feeling taken!

:smile:

Dave

22. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well said, Claire... I think.

23. Mark Feldstein

Mark Feldstein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the risk of being redundant, first, if you haven't done so, remove the magazine. To do that, you have to have the darkslide inserted or it won't release from the camera body.

Next, if you have a lens on the camera, make sure the shutter is cocked. Remove the lens cap if any, gently push open the rear shutter curtains and look to see daylight coming through the lens. If not, it ain't cocked. It has to be for the camera to fire. Soooooooo, first, while gently holding the shutter open, take a long, thin screwdriver and CAREFULLY insert it in the lens cocking screw at the base of the lens, turn it (no pressure) don't let the screwdriver slip and scratch that 80mm lens. <G> Continue to turn it clockwise until you see the lens shutter blades open and lock in the open position. Your camera should now be cocked and the shutter should release by pushing the release.

Also, remember that although the camera will fire without a film mag in place, when you DO put a mag on it, it won't fire unless you pull the dark slide. Yep, when you get the manual, read it. Also, a copy of Ernst Wildi's book "The Hasselblad Manual" will likely be helpful to you both in terms of inspiration and technical stuff. Okie dokie?
    Take it light.
    Mark

24. Mark Feldstein

Mark Feldstein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BTW, one other thing I forgot. The mirror pre-release is a flat button located directly under the film advance lever. Never EVER try to put a cocked lens on a body that isn't cocked (mirror down and shutter advanced). That's about a $200 repair if it gets forced. So, if you need to lock-up the mirror before you shoot, just push that button up and you'll feel the satisfying kathunk of the mirror going up but BUT you won't be releasing the shutter yet. When you're ready to do that, like by cable release, just push the shutter release and you'll hear the lens shutter open and close. Don't forget to advance the film which will recock the lens and reposition the mirror.
    Hope this helps.
    M.

25. rgacpa

rgacpa Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For Hasselblad lens unjamming info, go here:

http://cesarigd.club.fr/photoe2b.htm

That's a great camera you've got there; get a manual and enjoy the fun of knowing that every screwed up photo is totally your fault and not the equipment's! :wink:
    Bob

26. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What? Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Fuji, etc glass, isn`t good enough?

Ridiculous statement!

Cheers

André