help with Beseler color head

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by ezwriter, Oct 7, 2012.

1. ezwriter

ezwriter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have the Beseler 23C series II enlarger with the color head . Usually printed B&W the prints don't seem to
    be any different using the mag/blue/yel filtration.
    What do the colors do? I like a lot of contrast in my photos. thanks!
    i dont have the manual on the color head.
    ez

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What paper are you using?

If it is variable contrast paper, the magenta filtration will increase the contrast, while the yellow filtration will decrease the contrast.

The third filter is a cyan filter - it will have no effect on the contrast, and is rarely used at all.

There is a white light position on the controls that moves the filters out of the light path. If it is engaged, changing the filter settings will have no effect.

If everything is working correctly, turning the magenta filter control higher will make the light look more magenta.

The same is true for the yellow filter control (light will look more yellow) and the cyan filter control (light will look more cyan).

If you have more than one filter control set to a number, the resulting light will be a combination of them all.

I have a pdf of the manual for a Beseler CIII, including the colour head. If you would like it emailed to you, send me an APUG pm with your email address.

3. ezwriter

ezwriter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks! i have to pull the enlarger out to find this white lite lever. If i remember right there is a leve on the side i never touch.
    Never noticed any color in the light even w/ 150M on. yes please send manual. I have 23C manual but not the color head. thanks!
    ezwriter1@verizon.net

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    pdf of manual sent, as per request :smile:.

It is a moderately large file.

5. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're using graded paper, filtration won't change contrast. Variable contrast paper has blue and a green sensitive layers. The more magenta (-green) the higher the contrast. The more yellow (-blue) the lower the contrast. Your paper should come with instructions on how to change grades.

6. Rafal Lukawiecki

Rafal Lukawiecki Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have found that some graded papers, like Ilford Galerie, respond to filtration and they can offer up to a grade latitude. I realise this goes against common wisdom, but it just works. I wrote about it a while ago on this thread, illustrations included.

PS. I have just realised that you had participated on that thread, sorry for repeating myself...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
  7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I looked through that thread and don't see that anyone else was able to duplicate the experiment.

8. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow didn't know that about Ilford Galerie

I had a box of Galerie decades ago in college. It was the most expensive and I was just learning how to print. Didn't make the most of it though. It was like giving a bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape to a beginning wine drinker.

I guess Galerie paper is like Donnie and Marie. A little bit Country and a little bit Rock n Roll.

9. Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, no one else has reported repeating my steps with Galerie, but it seems to me that posts 3, 9, 13, and 23 of that thread mention other APUGers being able to change the contrast of some graded papers using enlarger filtration. IC, I would be happy to send you a sample of that old paper, since I no longer use it, if you would like to check my results, as long as you are interested. I would also be happy to print a step wedge for a more objective comparison. Personally, I no longer use those papers, so the results would be more of an interest to me to satisfy my curiosity rather than to achieve a specific goal.

10. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just wonder if that paper was actually multigrade paper and not manufactured as single grade.

11. Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IC, I think I see your point. I suppose I ought to pick a small packet of the current Galerie and try again. The paper I used was distinctly different from Ilford MGIV at the time. It was a touch thinner and less stiff, and warmer (base and image) than regular MGIV FB. I would be a bit surprised to learn that the recipe for that paper would have changed so dramatically at the time, but it is an interesting possibility. I'll report back when I had a chance to get a new sample, and I'll print a step-wedge, instead of an image.