Help With Developing

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by addies, Apr 27, 2010.

1. addies

addies Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey guys, so I just picked up my first 35mm SLR with the hopes of starting to develop my own film. I know there are a bunch of guides on developing black and white film but I haven't seen very many regarding how to use an enlarger. If you guys have any links regarding either of the two topics, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. wclark5179

wclark5179 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An enlarger is nothing more than a device that projects an image from a negative onto a sheet of photographic paper which is then developed for a finished positive image. Raising the head enlarges the image while lowering the head reduces the projected size. This a very basic process.

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome. That Ilford site is a good one.

6. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go to the APUG article archives and search 'brunner'. Jason is the resident wig-out guru and has a series of four videos on getting started developing. INVALUABLE.

7. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is the model I have always used: An enlarger and a camera are equal and opposite devices. They are practically the exact inverse of each other.

Whereas, with a camera, light reflects off your subject, goes through the lens and is focused on the film, in an enlarger light comes from the negative, goes through the lens then lands on the photo paper.

You don't need to concern yourself with the intricate details of the math and the physics but, if you think about the general idea of it, you'll see that everything about the way an enlarger works is almost exactly backwards of the way a camera works.

I'm the kind of person who needs to form a picture inside my head to understand the way things work. This "inverse" model really helps me to "see" the process in my mind so I can solve problems and answer my own questions.

So, to put it in a humorous way, if you know how to use a camera you can just do everything backwards and you'll know how to use an enlarger! :D :D

8. Craig Swensson

Craig Swensson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF