Help with enlarger/printing

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Missi, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Missi

Missi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently got an Omega D2 enlarger. ran some test prints and discovered that light is not falling evenly across the paper. I tried aligning the enlarger, but the instructions are confusing. However, i did the best i could, but still does not seem to work. Attaching an image....
    any help would be appreciated
    thanks all

Attached Files:

2. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a D2 and DII. Depending on your exact model, you have either a variable condenser or a fixed condenser. You can tell them apart by looking at an area immediately below the lamp housing. If you have a rectangular door, about 3 1/2 by 7 inches, then you have a VC model. Otherwise, you have a fixed condenser model.

Either way, you have to have the right condenser or have it in the right position.

If you could tell me:
    1) if you have this door or not
    2) your film size
    3) your lens focal length

I could then tell you the right setting. It looks like light fall-off and this would be the first thing I'd check.

3. Missi

Missi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am using 35 mm negs with a 50 mm nikkor lens at f5.6.
    i have a variable condenser model
    i think i am missing the other lens... ? not sure....

4. Missi

Missi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    light fall off problem is solved, was missing the other lens (duh)..... however, focus is off in one corner of the image. I am thinking this must be an alignment problem... please advise.
    thank you

5. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  6. Missi

Missi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Missi

Missi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    another print scan and a neg scan for comparison. Am I expecting too much from my enlarger?

scan002.jpg

7.jpg

8. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The difference in the two images you have posted is mainly contrast. This isn't a factor of the enlarger, but a factor of the filters you are using, exposure time, and to a lesser extent paper and developer.

I am too much of a newbie to this to offer the best suggestions - I'll leave that to others, but I have started to learn how to control contrast.

9. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012
  10. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is your lens mounted on a lens turrett or a single lens mount?

The reason I ask is I have a D5 and use a lens turrett and even though my lens stage and base board are aligned there is enough wobble in my lens turrett to throw the alignment out.

11. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking at two images, yes, there are significant difference in contrast but I also see the image on the right is lacking sharpness and overall crispness. Comparing two trees, one on the left is sharper but then camera wasn't even with both trees, so it's hard to tell.

D2 is capable of very good results.

A couple of things I am wondering.

1) What kind of lens are you using and is it in tip-top shape?
    2) How did you focus your enlarger? Did you use a grain focuser?
    3) D2 can drift a bit.... in fact, I refocus before every exposure. Did you check that?
    4) Once the exposure starts, one must keep still to avoid passing vibration.... did you?
    5) Is your enlarger sitting on a stable surface?

I don't think alignment (or lack there of) is your only problem. If that was the case, your print will show good/crisp focus somewhere on your image. (this is my current problem) You have a situation where it's not sharp anywhere on your image. You got something going on....

Don't give up. Once it's tuned up and problems worked out, it'll do great.

12. Missi

Missi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thank you all for great ideas. i did make some prints, just too tired to post them up tonight. will do so tomorrow.