Help with film...

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Rick A, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently was gifted with a 150 foot roll of Kodak Pan 2484, and don't have a clue where to start with it.Anyone know what speed it is, is it high speed recording film? I've tried looking it up on the net and couldn't find anything on it, even at Kodak. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance..

2. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Christopher, the tech sheet is exactly what I need. I shot a few frames last night, iso 160 and developed in D-76 1+1 for 13 minutes at 20c. The negatives are dense and a tad difficult to print, loads of base fog and somewhat gritty. I think this will be fun to experiment with, but I'm not trusting it to anything important.

4. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you printed it yet?

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only had time to make one 5x7 enlargment, after an hour of running test strips on the frames I shot. Had to go to grade 4 to get decent contrast enlarging through the base fog. I'll shoot some more and develope with a restrainer and cold temp to try to keep fog to a minimum.
    This is iso 160, flash-1/60 f11, D-76 1+1/13 mins @20c., with 3 min presoak, stop and three min fix.(clip test cleared 55 secs)

Attached Files:

6. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I start exposing unknown or long expired bulk film stocks by shooting a reflective b&w target found in old Kodak dataguides.

I light it evenly, and use the grey card on the facing page to establish a metered vaule for an assumed speed. If it is thought to be say, 400, I will shoot it at 50, 100, 200, and 400. I have never found old film to gain speed.

I shoot three sequences this way, and snip the shot film off the camera in the darkroom and load to a reel each time I shoot a sequence.

Then I have three short reels to fiddle developing times with.

If fog is huge, I will add benzotriazole as a restrainer, and then re-shoot, because it will change the effective speed of the film.

Hope this generic method helps.

7. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Might not have an anti halation backing? The glow on the white hand in the sample image seems a bit pronounced.

Then again if it was CRT recording film, it would not be built to see and record anything all too bright in the first place.

8. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From what I can see, it's a fairly decent film with a bunch of grain. I'm assuming her hand picked up a lot of the flash but it's strange that it had no more affect than that.

9. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It had alot more glow than that, I did a burn in to tame it some. There isn't an AH coating and the flash really made her hand pop out. I have some Benzotriazole, am going to use it next batch.

10. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks like I might have to send the other roll to you.

11. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, you need to shoot it. I'll send you some Btaz if you need some. I think you'll have a blast with the stuff. Maybe a pano 35mm pinhole cam for fun.

12. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When you guys are using benzotriazole to tame age fog is there a particular developer family that works better with this or does the btaz work equally well save maybe a pyro based dev?

I know that HC110 is supposed to aid in restraining fog but maybe not as well as adding btaz to another type dev???

Maybe I should delve into my library and see what I can learn about restrainers.

13. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now I need to build a panoramic pinhole.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me too. I think this was the excuse I needed to do that.

16. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never get too exotic in developers when trying to tame fog with old film with benzotriazole.

I usually use it with just d-76 striaght, or 1:1, or with fx37 1:3, if I don't have any d-76 mixed up.
    I find old film looses speed, and sometimes needs a lot of time to get any sort of reasonable contrast.
    I am working my way though some early 60's ferrania pan 120 that now performs well as iso 12 or 25, with a few mL of 1% BTZ (i never heard it called btaz, but, heh, each abreviation to one's own) and needs almost 18' in straight d-76 to yield negs that print well. thge worst part of the stuff is the curn is by now unbeleivable.

17. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    curn=corn=grain???:confused:

18. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of my usual typos.
    I meant to say curl.

I have a fast two finger syle on the keyboard.

I graduated in the dwindling days of when a sharp pencil, sharp mind and large blank piece of paper was the means that skill in design was expressed in my engineering field.

So I have never been an adept touch typist, even though most of my work day today is spent pecking out reports, scheduled, cost estimates and tracking reports.

19. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Here's an image that I made with some of this stuff. I'd rate it at 250. I use a semi stand in Dektol 1 gram of Dektol / 100 ml H2O. Agitate 30 sec and walk away from it for 7 min. I have a gazillion feet of it in a freezer at work. Never played with it again. Not my thang I guess.

20. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Memorys of shop class many years ago in that image, Jim.

How I was always reminding myself to remeber the backlash when moving the table on the milling machine before the next cutter pass.

If you dial in too far, back well off and dial in again, because just backing up a bit to the desired mark will not put you where you want to be!!

21. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Ours has a Bausch & Lomb digital read out that gives Pos and Neg X and Y's. That's old school now as I think most folks have them hooked up to a computer. Wish I had it at home.

A little more about your film; The thin Estar (Kodak's trademark name for polyester) base is so it can zing through a high speed movie camera at incredible speeds. We have cameras that can make 360 images on film per second. That's pin registered, which means it stops in the gate, registration pins come in and hold it, the pins go back out after the shutter goes by, and pull downs advance it 4 perfs. and that happens 360 times in a second. Awesome machines that will never be used again. It sort of breaks my heart. Normal 4 mil film bases can't do that.

22. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple of new test shots, Canon AE-1 with 1.8/50mm, rated film at ie 25, developed in Rodinal 1+100, one hour stand development at 70f. Seems to have tamed the contrast and the grain isn't too awfully pronounced. These are straight scans of 5x7 prints at 600dpi, no manipulation.

Attached Files:

23. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rick, do my eyes deceive me or does it appear that the canon has a light leak along the top. If you look at the right side of the steps and along the bottom of the second pic it looks lighter than it should. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Joel

24. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No Joel, the AE-1 is definitly in need of new seals. I wanted to check it out prior to selling it, no better time than when testing this film as well.

25. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rick, I wish that I was in need of a camera as the AE-1 is as good as they come. I had one about 25 years ago when my wife and I were first dating and used it the entire time. But I need another system like I need to have elective surgery performed to have a third arm attached. If my daughter doesn't start using the OM-1 after her protesting my selling it the last time, it's going to be gone because its not getting the use it deserves.

26. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If my kid didn't need money to cover her less than good decisions, none of the Canon gear would be for sale. Neither would some of my gear I have listed right now, but then, she's one of my kids and I'm gonna do what a dad can do for her.