Help with identification and use of Bronica SQ prism

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Todd Adamson, May 1, 2011.

1. Todd Adamson

Todd Adamson Member

Apr 15, 2011
    My first MF camera, a Bronica SQ-Ai, was purchased late last year from KEH. I have a lot to learn about it! Recently, I decided I wanted an eye-level prism, mostly to be able to focus accurately and compose at the same time (as opposed to using the spring-loaded diopter in the WLF), but also because it's nice to have a laterally correct image.

So I went back to KEH to see what they had. I couldn't afford a metered prism, but figured that wasn't a huge deal, as I could use another camera or an old Weston meter I got recently. I noticed that an AE prism with a "non-functioning meter" was listed cheaper than a non-AE prism, so I bought that. I guess I got lucky, because the prism I got seems to meter just fine! However, after being on the camera for a couple of weeks, it drained my batteries. I Googled, and found a few people talking about needing to turn the prism off when not in use. As far as I can see, there's no way to turn it off. There's just one big silver button which seems to activate the meter, and then a switch on the shutter speed dial, the purpose of which I cannot discern. I'd love to be able to find a manual for this prism, but I don't even know what it is. If anyone could point me to a manual, or at least give me the official name/model number of the prism that would be awesome.

Is there really a way to turn this thing off? It's not a huge deal to just remove it and store the camera with the WLF instead, but would be nice if I didn't have to. Thanks for any help you can give!