Help with Mamiya c220 re: focusing screen

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by midas412, Jun 17, 2009.

1. midas412

midas412 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So what began as a small run in the edge of the ground glass on my c220 has suddenly become a full blown crack. The pieces are still secure in the frame, and i think that it is still reliable for focusing, but i'd really like to get it replaced.

I've looked around for info/replacement screens to no avail. I've tried the flea-Bay, KEH, google and all i've found are c330 screens (which were apparently meant to be interchangeable) and some fancy ones (forget the company name) that are selling for like $250. I've thought about finding another c220 and stealing the screen, but then i'd just be left with another busted camera.

Anybody have any experience with this? Could i use a glass meant for the c330? Could i get a piece of glass custom made? Where? Should i wait for a "for parts' c220 on the 'bay? Needless to say, i'd like to do this as quickly, cheaply, and simply as possible.

Thanks!

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Contact Mamiya directly. They still carry some C2XX and C3XX parts.

Steve

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

As Steve says get a proper replacement from Mamiya, it needs to be the correct thickness etc. While it is most probably the same as a C330 Mamiya will know, put the wrong screen in and the focus will be off/compromised.

Ian

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    C220 screens are not easily replaceable. They need to be shimmed to ensure correct focus.

Matt

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt from memory of removing & cleaning the screns etc on my C3 & C33 I think they were all individually shimmed, so replacement isn't simple.

Ian

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For clarity, the C330 screens are designed to be user interchangeable, so replacement of them is simple.

Matt

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's true Matt, but the focusing screens on the C33 and C220 were never intended to be user replaceable.

8. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    As for the C220, it depends on which version you have. If you have got a C220 F, the screen is easy to replace. I've seen photos and descriptions somewhere on the 'net for how-to fix the foam and shimming issues with the original C220, but I can't remember where right now.

EDIT: Sorry, looked around and found out that the DIY guide I was thinking of was for a C330f: http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00N8kt?start=0

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
  9. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't see it as a problem if you are going to DIY. You should be able to use any GG or screen as long as you shim it to agree with the film plane focus.