Help with old 16mm movies

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by DBP, Feb 4, 2012.

1. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We have a few reels of black and white home movies shot in the 20s-40s that have not aged well. Can anyone suggest a place that can restore and scan these?

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have some film to sent here but I have not yet sent it. So I cannot comment on the quality of the transfer.

3. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would bet any medium or major city near you will have a place to digitize them. My city of 85,000 does. Don't know about "restoring" anything.

4. Paul Cunningham

Paul Cunningham Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Costco

Does anyone know who does the work for Costco's service? I haven't explored pricing yet, but am curious. Paul

5. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If the place you use does not do a restoration, see if they can give the files back to you as lightly compressed AVIs (such as DV avi or MJPEG avi). DVD is MPEG-2 and if you try to restore it then reburn to another DVD, you'll reduce the quality as MPEG-2 is a lossy compression method, just like JPEG is lossy.

ME Super

6. bob100684

bob100684 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's done by YES-Video. Quality for DVD transfer is fairly decent, they do seem to attempt to color balance things, but do not offer a restoration service at least via costco.