Help with printing an uneven negative

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mekia02, May 6, 2009.

1. mekia02

mekia02 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi I made the worst mistake I could have made. I was trying to be cheap and I did not fill my developing tank all of the way up. I think I did not have enough chemical and I was using a large tank with multiple 120 reels in it, so the reel at the top did not get even contact with the developer. As a result the top quarter of that roll of film, I believe was underdeveloped?. I love that roll though, it was of my niece and she just spontaneously started being cute when she was sitting on the dinner table, she is a year or two older now so I would really like to be able to find a way to print these negatives.

I have tried on my own exposing the image, covering the normal or nicely developed side then overexposing the problematic side. The print still comes out looking like two different exposures. Do any of you have suggestions? Can I make a decent print from these negatives?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. rcoda

rcoda Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sorry... D!g!t@l is the only way for something like this. And even then, might not be possible for mere mortals.

3. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I am sorry. But I think you're gonna have a hard time burning the underdeveloped portion with out a visible density change on the print. Just kep playing with.

4. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Taking your negative image into PS, inverting it and applying auto-levels results in an acceptable photograph. Just try making a straight print and see what happens.

5. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Crop it. The center of attention is clearly the child. The rest of the frame may not be necessary.

I apologize for the robbery, but I 'stole' your image, cropped it, inverted it, and adjusted the levels to make a lovely image.
    If you crop it, it will print just fine!

- Thomas

6. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am surprised that some of my colleagues are throwing in the towel so easily :wink:

Nicholas is probably right, it may be fine even as is. I'd make myself a simple dodge tool (=rough cut paper straight edge) and keep it moving about that boundary. Looks like one portion needs ~0.5-1 stops or so more exposure than the rest. That's definitely doable. You're very lucky that the line is so straight and well defined, it'll be easy to work with.

7. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    P.S. Do you have a grad filter?

8. mekia02

mekia02 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What type of filters? I have a filter pack that I haven't used, that goes with my Beseler 23C, and I have a dichroic head and a 2nd Beseler 23C that I plan on setting up this week. Is there a certain filter that I should use? The filters in my pack I believe have numbers on them.

9. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I dunno...looks like it was developed evenly, but not fixed evenly -- have you tried re-fixing the neg?

Vaughn

11. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Vaughan makes a good point, and maybe this is more an issue of mismatched contrast rather than mismatched density.

12. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second this idea. And I also think cropping it will help the image.

13. nicefor88

nicefor88 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just pretend it's a special effect you tried:wink:

14. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

That's just messed up. ;p

15. mekia02

mekia02 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought I might have a ND filter, if it came in the black/white filter kit I bought a while ago, I'm not sure though. How would a camera filter help with a negative that I am trying to print anyway?

Re-Fixing
    Ok, so do I re-wet the negative then put the entire negative in fixer and fix for the same amount of time as usual and do the same rinse as usual?

16. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, that's how you re-fix. Re-wet the neg for a few minutes, and then go through a fixing/washing sequence again.
    I have used a tray in the past to do it.

17. mekia02

mekia02 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I re-fixed that roll and they came out wonderful, no discoloration on the negative at all. Thanks everyone!

18. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Glad I guessed correctly -- it happens sometimes...

Good luck in printing them! Vaughn