Help With Purchasing Enlarger and Extras

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by justinphilip, Dec 22, 2009.

1. justinphilip

justinphilip Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hopefully this is okay to ask here.

I have been looking around for some darkroom equipment to do some black and white printing. In my area someone is selling some darkroom equipment. They are asking $75.00 OBO for all this stuff. I have include some pictures I was sent from the seller. Everything in the images are include. Enlarger, timer, 6 trays, 35mm negative carrier and 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 negative carrier, omega 75mm f/4.5 enlarging lens w/f stop scale , 50mm f/35 enlarging lens w/ f-stop scale and box (7) variable contrast filter by Beseler for black and white printing and whatever else is pictured.

This is within my budget but I don't know a whole lot about this stuff. I don't know the model of the enlarger, I know that it is Omega brand. Given everything is in working order does this look like its working going for? I would also like to be able to print 6x7. Would I be able to use this stuff if I got a 6x7 negative carrier or whatever else might be needed?

Thanks for any information you can provide with this.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
  2. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't see any pictures, but it sounds like its a med format omega or Bessler enlargers,there good enlargers. Dark room medium format equipment is going for a low price right now on ebay and Craigslist. Don't know about the 6X7 part .

3. justinphilip

justinphilip Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes I just realized I forgot to add the photos. They are up now.

4. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From the photo, it looks like maybe it's the Concept Six - http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/
    On the left side, click on "discontinued enlargers" then look at that list. I don't know enough about Omegas to know if it can do 6x7.

5. panastasia

panastasia Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Bessler 23C will handle up to 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 (6x9). Some have found them as cheap a $50 in good condition. I've been using one for nearly 40 years and it still looks and works like new.

6. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My advice would be to hold on for an enlarger which can do 6x7 w/o modification. Those latter Omega's are capable enlargers (I loved my C- 700) but you should be able to do better than that.

7. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The enlarger looks like Omega C-700 to me. I have no idea what it is that is sitting under the enlarger and has few knobs. If it were me, I'd be comfortable paying $75 assuming everything works as advertised. In fact, if everything works, I'd probably jump on it.

Just to give you an idea, my enlarger has cost me $40. I paid $35 for the VC filters. I paid about $20 for the trays. I just bought a new timer for about $180, etc, etc, etc. You may not need everything in this package but for what you need, I think you are getting a good deal.

Oh, I don't think C-700 can do 6x7... but since I do not have that model, I'll defer to others. Typically, IF the enlarger is capable of that size (which I don't *think* it is), you'll need negative carrier, condenser, and lens.

8. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks like a good deal,find out about the 6x7 part, if you know the model, which it can of looks like a c-700, go do a google search for omaga ,c700.

9. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It looks like it will do 6x7 (google omega c700). You will need the right negative carrier and a lens that will cover it. If it has something for 6x6, the lens may cover 6x7. It is a good deal. The C700 isn't the most robust enlarger around, but it will get you started and it is inexpensive!

10. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is not a C700, it is a Concept Six enlarger as Bethe pointed out.
    The Concept Six looks like a C700 but is really a B600 mounted on a special baseboard. This baseboard typically had a built in easel and sometimes an exposure meter and timer. The Concept Six and B600 were never meant to do 6x7 but as most of the parts are interchangable with the C700 series it amay be possible. The problem would be is the Negative Stage opening large enough for 6x7? If you really want to do 6x7 it might be a gamble and worth waiting for a true 6x7 or larger enlarger.

You may want to ask the worlds foremost expert in all things Omega, Harry at ....
    http://www.classic-enlargers.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=general

12. justinphilip

justinphilip Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all the information. I am going to try to meet up with the seller and check out the equipment and get some more information this stuff. Thanks again.

13. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For $75 it's not a bad price. Timer, filters etc. The lenses are the entry level Omega's so no great shakes but good enough to start. Buy it, use it & sell it for $20-30 when you upgrade. Keep the things you want.
    Even if it's a 6X6 do you have a 6X7 camera yet

14. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks like a nice set up to me. I would go for it. Looking at it quickly it appears in nice condition too. You have the timers and trays and even an easel.

15. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The enlarger loks like a C-700 which is a currant production model and tons of parts for them. I have three of them in my darkroom, and another that is new in the box in storage. These are great machines and very accurate. They will handle up to 6x7cm negs, usually come with a Rodenstock 50/2.8 or 3.5 lens and a glassless neg carrier. New ones run around $350 without any extras. Also they use the older B-22 parts and accessories, and I think B-600 as well. Looks like a very good deal to me--Go there and buy it(try offering less first, but do it in person, not over the phone or email)Like I stated, BUY IT

Rick