Help with Rolleiflex 2.8GX / FX / FW Focusing Screens

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by notsograiny, Mar 9, 2011.

1. notsograiny

notsograiny Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hi all,

recently i realised that the focusing screen of my 2.8GX has its fresnel side / matte / rough side facing upwards, which is the opposite of most screens that i've ever used. is this reversely installed? what caused more confusion is that i've checked the official manual - it says

"...When
    inserting pay attention to the exact position of the
    screen between upper and lower strip and lateral
    guides. Take also care that the matt side of the screen
    faces towards the camera. Screens with lens have to be
    inserted with the lens (i suppose this refers to the fresnel) on the upper side...."

could other FX / FW / GX users please check yours and give me a hand?

million thanks!

2. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't know the answer since I don't have the model you have (my Rollei is very old, prewar!), but if no one who does have one comes forward with the answer, you can check it by shooting some pics with the lens wide open and at a close distance, like 1 meter and see if the film shows the focus correct on what you actually focused on. If not, flip the screen and do it again (actually, just do it on the same roll, shoot some tests both ways, keep notes, and see which was better!).

3. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have the FX and the screen has some texture on both sides. However it should have the most mat side down. Try looking at something in the distance with the focus set to infinite. The screen being off affects of course what the viewing lens sees so if you rack the lenses all the way in to infinite it should look sharp at infinite on the screen.
    Dennis

4. notsograiny

notsograiny Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks both for your prompt reply.

dpurdy, indeed you're right, it has textures on both sides, and now i am sure i have the screen correctly installed. thanks!

:smile: