Help with Scanning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Raffay, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raffay

Raffay Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello,

I am scanning my negs, and have no clue if i am doing it right. Initially, I thought the scanner would simply scan what I have exposed the actual shot, but I have noticed that by selecting the tons of options the results differ dramatically - which in my opinion is quite confusing since you don't know what your exposure looked like.

The other issue I am facing is that the review is showing something completely different to the actual scan, see pictures attached:

Preview:
    Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 8.46.32 am.png

Scan:
    Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 8.46.43 am.png

I am using VueScan with the following settings:

1. Input 16 bit gray
    2. Green channel
    4. Scan resolution 2400
    5. Output 16 bit gray

Have no clue what to select in the colour tab, none and generic, portrait of Ilford etc. btw, I have tried all none, manual etc.

The main issue is that the preview is misleading and I want to know if I am doing something wrong or is this a VueScan issue.

Cheers

Raffay

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Raffray.

You will soon see this thread closed down, because in order to preserve its focus APUG expressly excludes almost all discussions of scanning and other digital subjects.

Don't feel bad about the thread being closed - unless you knew better you won't be "blamed".

APUG has a sister site that does deal with scanning - DPUG.ORG. It is quieter than here, but it is helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.