Help with Time-O-Lite Timer

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Hiernst, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Hiernst

Hiernst Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just bought a used Time-O-Lite model P-72.

It works fine, but the Time Selector on the dial is incredibly, incredibly stiff to move. I wanted to remove the red pointer knob so I could try to loosen the time-selector. It appears that there are 2 tiny, tiny square head set screws holding the pointer knob in place, but I can not find a tool small enough to fit them.

Does anyone know what I can use to get the pointer knob off? Or am I being too sophisticated and it's just supposed to pop off somehow? Any help would be immensely appreciated. Such a simple fix has gotten very frustrating, but I am determined to loosen the selector.

Thanks so much!

2. George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2011
  3. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Unless the company has changed the setscrew specification, the hands of Time-O-Lite timers are secured with #6-32 setscrews with a 4-flute Bristol Drive socket.

If you put a small Allen wrench into the socket you’ll strip the socket and have a real mess.

I think the wrench you need is S-069-4.

http://fer3.com/arc/img/114042.spline.pdf

I doubt that the pointer has anything to do with the problem. That’s likely inside the mechanism. For that you need to contact the company for repair if available.

http://www.industrialtimercompany.com/TOLTmrs.htm

4. Hiernst

Hiernst Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the suggestions on the Bristol wrenches.

Ian, the pointer knob moves very smoothly, it's the time-selector that is stiff. I thought I could try to loosen the dial on the selector, but I'd need to remove the pointer first in order to do that. With such a mechanical system, I thought it would be a fairly DIY adjustment. If you've come across a similar problem and it had to be sent to ITC, I'd love to hear about it.

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of those, and they are indeed stiff. I dont mind though, they are usually set and left where they are for the process I use them for.

6. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    How to turn Time-O-Lite Timer into an f/stop timer

I use an Omega-branded model and turned it into an f/stop timer...

[​IMG]

Each dot is 1/3 stop... In use I memorize the seconds between dots. In this example, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2. During exposure, I wait until I hear it clicking and then I do test strip series or burns and dodges in terms of the memorized clicks.

7. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never used one that's not stiff. Maybe they were designed that way to avoid accidental bumping.

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think Wade's on to something. It is self resetting, so maybe its was designed to not knock itself from the settings on return.

9. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine is stiff too, looking like that's the norm.

10. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I examined my P72. The dial requires a fairly strong push to set the pointer to the time wanted. I believe that this is simply part of the design and not a defect.

There is nothing to be gained in removing the time-setting knob.

The resistance you feel is from the mechanism inside the timer—not from the fit of the pointer assembly onto the two concentric shafts that connect to the timer mechanism.

You might want to contact the maker for further clarification.

11. Hiernst

Hiernst Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OK, the consensus seems to be that the stiffness is standard for this timer. I've used earlier models and the selector was always very easy to move. If this is the way the P-72 is, it's kind of a relief that I don't need to bother buying tools and tinkering with it. Thanks to everyone!

12. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't forget that the set pointer needs to hold back the time pointer. It necessarily must be difficult to move or it wouldn't work.

Yes, it needs to be stiff to move but you should still be able to move it with two fingers worth of pressure.

13. Jim17x

Jim17x Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I realize this is an old thread but for future reference i had the same issue with my P72 and have fixed it. I applied penetrating oil and lithium grease in the two areas in the photo and it freed up the dial a lot. Its still a bit tough but a lot better.

Attached Files: