Help with vintage 35mm RF servicing

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by StanMac, Feb 9, 2017.

1. StanMac

StanMac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My Petri 7s needs some attention to tightening up the filter ring and selenium cell assembly - it wobbles a bit during use. I am afraid that the movement will eventually result in metal fatigue in the selenium cell connections to the metering circuit and cause a fault. I have contacted two camera services to try to get this fixed - one didn't respond after two contact emails, and the other, Midwest Camera Repair, advised me they didn't service Petri cameras.

Can someone direct me to a reliable camera service that will work on these 'vintage' 35mm rangefinders?

Thank you for your help!

Stan

2. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Stan, I do not think that it will be worth it, as that rangefinder is not at all expensive. That Petri does develop a wobble and I cannot remember how I dealt with mine a few years back, but there might be a ring around the rear element, in the back of the camera. You might see if one of the two indentations on that ring allow it to move easily by using a tiny screwdriver. If so, simply tighten that ring by turning it carefully.

Of, alternatively, under the logo ring, there might be screws that need tightening. This is not a major problem and I have done this sort of thing rather easily in the past. The logo ring should screw off normally (ie, counter-clockwise). I wish I could be definitive here, but this was long ago. - David Lyga

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try Zack's camera repair. Also, he is an APUG sponsor.

4. OP
    StanMac

StanMac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks David and bdial. I do realize that the Petri 7s is not that valuable a camera, but I do like to use it and its mid-century look draws a lot of interest. I bought it and a decent case at a local antique/junk store for $25 - everything works including the meter so I'm willing to put a little into it to satisfy my concerns that it is in the best shape it can be. I will contact Zach's camera repair.