Here's an idea?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by ajuk, Jan 19, 2009.

1. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is there a film camera that can be programed so it knows what the reciprocity law failure is for the particular film loaded?

2. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well if there was, it might not be the camera you would want to buy.

Anyway what's wrong with bracketing your shots, you don't have to be accurate to 1/10 sec.....the film's exposure tolerance would cover most errors and the rest by printing.......and after a bit of night work experience, you could reduce the wastage of film by bracketing less.

3. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With DX coding, sure, it should be possible. But since reciprocity usually isn't an issue except for fairly long exposures, it'd be of limited interest.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Films differ too much, some suffer badly others like Tmax100 hardly at all.

So not feasible.

Ian

5. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    This is really chasing a silver bullet... Like a camera that would only snap a picture when it sensed a prizewinning image. Why bother doing any work at all...

Experience is the finest teacher and in very short order with a paper and a pencil and a few rolls of film to go with the notes you should have no problems with any sort of multiple bracketing.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not all camera's have DX coding none of my 15 or so 35mm camera's has it :D

Ian

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heck, I am still looking for a filter that improved the composition just prior to the shutter releasing! :tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

However I do have a bridge from Manhattan to Brooklyn that I could sell you. You can make all your money back from the tolls.

Steve

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one of those filters . . . . . It's called a brain :smile:

They are useful for freciprocity failure too :D

Ian

9. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  10. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No.

11. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Ian, you be an retrosnob!!:tongue:

12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can I get DX coding on my 120 film cameras?

Steve

13. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think DX coding is something you get, I think it's something you've got or don't got :wink:

As I recall, the Fuji GA645Zi has DX coding. I guess my 645 af has it, I dunno. Irony is, I never trust it when the camera I'm using does have it. But it always works. But I don't trust it. But it always works....

But let me just say (in all semi-seriousness) that I don't see why someone would take pride in doing reciprocity corrections. I'd say reciprocity falls into the category of those logarithmically brainless activities that take time away from actual composition. So the original poster's intentions are good, and if film camera development had continued full steam then I'm quite sure that cameras and perhaps also light meters would offer DX-coded automatic reciprocity correction.

14. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I'm looking for a camera that doesn't need a photographer and makes 1st class shots.
    Just buy a ticket on the plane, it will go visit NY, Paris what else. And when It comes back, you got all the film

I've had an interesting situation with a friend:
    [I show him my OM-1]
    Friend: Wow, nice one. Does it take nice photos?
    I: Well, all depends of the photographer. It doesn't take photos by itself.
    -[I put the camera on the table with the film cocked and ready, no selftimer]
    -[wait 15 sec.]
    I: See, It hasn't taken any photo.
    Friend: (weird wink)
    :D

15. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sincerely hope this never happens, It's bad enough when your employer makes you redundant, but even worse if your cameras do it to you.

16. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK I was thinking it might be in in the Nikon F6 or Canon cameras that seem to be digital in every sense except for the film transport mechanism. Although if it had been done I would expect it to come from Canon or Minolta than from anybody else. Yeah Minolta, sounds like the sort of thing they would have done! :tongue:

17. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You'd need more than DX encoding for this. The camera would need to know the exact film, and those are modified in ways that change reciprocity characteristics periodically, so a preprogrammed compensation feature would go out of date. For color it would need to dial in filtration, and that would also change with improved emulsions. You could have the camera prompt the user for a Schwarzschild exponent, but that would confuse 99.99% of the market, and even those that know what that means may not know it offhand for the particular film they have loaded.

In the end, it's one of those things that people who need it will do better than the camera. For the way I work, even setting a normal length exposure falls into that category 99% of the time.

Lee

18. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Ajuk;

From my reading of the manual for the Minolta Maxxum 9 / Dynax 9, not even that "feature" ridden product of "the Mind of Minolta" has that capability, even though the shutter is capable of getting you into that territory. Normally, reciprocity failure is not really a problem until you get to about 1 second or less than about 1/10,000 of a second. Except for a few people using cameras in certain scientific study, most people are not concerned about this film deficiency.

19. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about high intensity reciprocity failure, such as with flash? Reciprocity failure isn't only encountered in long exposures.

RE: my comments above about DX coding, I'm not saying that the existing DX codes can furnish enough info for auto reciprocity correction, I'm saying that the coding method of transferring film info to the camera could easily be expanded to provide correction.

20. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah that's why I thought of those last gen camera that could possibly recive an updated database by being connected to a PC.