Hey! I can post something in the "Shows" forum

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Flotsam, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I got my show up today! Just a local Library but it has been a long time since I have put anything creative out there. I had the luxury of plenty of prep time and actually kept to schedule so it went up on site as smooth as glass. 30 prints hung in a few casual hours. Looks good and it feels great to hang a whole show of Silver Jello in a place that has been showing almost nothing but digi.

Here's an exerpt from the program:

...They were all made on Black and White films and individually hand printed in the Darkroom using traditional, (Non-digital), methods. They are printed on fiber based Silver Gelatin type Photographic Paper.

Traditional Black and White Photography is a rich and subtle medium that offers the photographer unique capabilities to interpret and portray a subject or scene through the deliberate choice of materials and the careful control of the process of exposure and development.

The best part is that now that the show is off my mind, I can grab my cameras and actually go out and do some shooting tomorrow. Yippie!:D

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Congrats! Where is this library, in case anyone is in the neighborhood?

3. Digidurst

Digidurst Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good for you, Neal :smile: Congratulations!

4. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations Neal! What a great feeling this must be on so many levels.

5. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thats great news -- Congrats!

6. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrat's again. I still have the location info you provided. Expect to drop in in a couple of weeks.

7. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Thanks!

David,
    It lies in the Cultural Mecca :smile: known as Suffern, NY. About 35 miles North of the G.W. bridge and roughly 9,000 miles from APUG HQ. Right on the the NY/NJ border where The NYS Thruway, Rte. 287, Rte. 87, Rte. 17, Rte. 202, Rte.59 all cross.

I don't have the Ego to say that it merits a special trip from any great distance. Most of the images have been tested in the APUG critique gallery over the last few years (Thanks to all for the input). But if Bruce or any other APUGers are in the area, PM me. If possible, I'd love to run over and meet you and give you the personal tour and chat about "real" photography (a rare opportunity in these here parts). There is a small Cafe area adjoining the exhibit space as well as a few nearby places to grab a beer... or so I've heard :wink:. If you come, I hope you can bring along some of your prints, seeing them would be a real bonus for me.

For photo ops, nearby are several large natural parklands. Harriman Park and the Seven Lakes area is large and well-covered by narrow, twisty, roadways (making them nicely accessable for LF) as well as many trails. Nothing spectacular like out West, but lots of trees, hills, rocks, lakes, small falls and streams in abundance. Actually quite nice. Further North are the 'Gunks, The New Paltz area with Lake Mohonk and Minnewaska and, of course, The Catskills but that's stretching it for a day trip.

8. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well done. Any time you can get anything on the wall, that's absolutely great. Hope you have a successful run with the show.

I like your quote about the show is hung, now I can do more photography. That says it all about a producing artist.

9. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's great Neal! How long is it going to hang?

10. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    How do you spell relief?

I'd pat you on the back if I could...30 prints is a TON of work...congratulations!

Murray

11. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Bob,
    It will hang through July 29th.

Joe,
    That is truly what it is all about but I would also encourage everyone in our small, global community to make the effort to get their stuff out there in any venue, both to share their personal creative vision and to advocate for the great medium that has given us so much satisfaction.

12. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Belated congratulations!!!

Gee you said there was going to be a show Neal, but 30 images!? That's a SHOW!

Best wishes from Downunder and may the Gods of appreciative audiences smile on the remainder of the big event.

Best, john

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2005
  13. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations Neal!

14. hortense

hortense Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    CONGRATULATONS - I wish I could see them.