Hey I have a stupid question about making sure darkslides stay in place

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by srmcnamara, Jun 5, 2011.

1. srmcnamara

srmcnamara Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It seems like every so often, I try to pull a film holder out of my bag and it will catch on the darkslide of another film-holder and I'll fog half a sheet of film.

The little locks on the film-holders spin so easily that they're basically useless. Is there any way I can keep this from happening (tape or something?)? Does this happen to anyone else? I can't keep ruining pictures like this!

2. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One way to avoid this, is to place each holder in it's own ziplock bag...plus you can drop a 3x4 index card to record all data for that holder. Rubber bands will work also...just some ideas...I use the ziplock bags.

3. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got the same problem with mine. Was thinking of putting some white glue in the hole and coating the loch with a thin oil and inserting it into holder. after the glue drys using a pair of pliers to loosen lock,thinking that the glue would tighten up the loose treads. Have not tried it yet but just a thought. Or just drill new holes and self thread the lock in.

4. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I luckily havent had that problem yet, but I also havent used my LF camera enough to have much of anythink in the way of problems so far :smile:

I keep a roll of masking tape to label my three film holders. Perhaps that alone will be enough to hold the darkslides in place? Just a suggestion that may not work.
    :confused:

5. silveror0

silveror0 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I put my holders in pink anti-static bags (reduces dust-attraction from static charge), then place holders in the bag with long side down so there is no tendency to pull the slide inadvertently when removing them from the bag. Another popular option is to use rubber bands (wider than most) to put around the holder so as to hold the slide in. Try stationery stores, they usually have an assortment of them. Replace them whenever necessary as they don't last forever.

6. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I also have never had that problem. I alternate the film holders so the dark side is up on one then down on the adjacent one and so on. I can't say that is fool proof but it has worked for me.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

7. foliageface

foliageface Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'll second photomc's suggestion. I've kept all my filmholders, 4x5 and 8x10, in Ziplocs since I started doing photography in remote areas of the SW. It helps keep them clean, helps prevent the problem that you're experiencing and, as suggested, helps keep info about each holder and its data. In addition, I keep my holders in an appropriately sized cooler to help limit temp fluctuations and help keep them clean. I had a local printing company print cards on hard card stock in a size that will fit with each holder in its ziploc that has info about when the holder was loaded with what film etc.

8. M Stat

M Stat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The way to avoid this problem is to use an extra low adhesive artist's or masking tape to tape the holders closed. The tape is also used for writing exposure and developing information on it. With the holders taped and locked, there is no problem with accidentally exposing the film. I use zip-lock bags to guard against dust, and I also utilize the black plastic envelopes, which are supplied with photographic film and paper, to store and transport film holders in order to protect them from any possibility of inadvertent accidental exposures in the field.

9. M Stat

M Stat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Also, that is by no means a stupid question.

10. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

A high school teacher of mine told the class one day "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

BTW, I agree that this isnt a stupid question. It's a good one that will hopefully enlighten the OP and anyone else afraid to ask :wizard:

11. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only stupid question is the one not asked.

12. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

13. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This problem was solved years ago. Get some Riteway Locking film holders. The darkslide does not come out unless the filmholder is inserted in the camera (or you press the little white button). I have a few and really like them.
    For some reason, many people actually rip out the little "L" latches on the standard film holders and they especially hate these Riteway Locking holders, so you should be able to get them for cheap. Personally, I'd pay a premium to get more of them.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2011
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's awesome. Didnt know anything like that existed. PErhaps when I decide to buy more film holders.... :wub:

16. cblurton

cblurton Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You think?

If a cat always lands on its feet, and buttered bread always lands butter side down, what would happen if you tied buttered bread on top of a cat?

17. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sometimes the little metal locks will become unscrewed over time. Try tightening them all as far as they will go, then only turning them back as far as needed.

You also can't go wrong with the rubber band idea.

I don't use individual Ziplocs for my film holders, but I do always keep my film holders in a sealing bag.

18. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    is the buttered or unbuttered side of the bread face down on the back of the cat?
    :wizard:

19. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a plastic Igloo cooler to hold film holders and try not to pack them too tightly. I put 1/4" tape indicating what type of film is in the holder. After I shoot both sides, I tape the slides down to protect the shot film. I use only high quality drafting tape for my film holders. Igloo coolers aren't perfect because of the static charge they sometimes have that attracts dust. They're easy to clean though. We all work differently and there's no one perfect way for all.

20. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cats are best seasoned with rosemary, garlic and vinegar, not with butter. Probably nothing bad would happen if you use some butter on a cat, but your reputation as a cook might suffer.

( :D )

21. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The cat would lick the butter off the toast on the way down therefore allowing it to land on its feet without breaking the buttered toast law.

I put thick rubber bands around my film holders to keep the dark slides in place.

Steve.

22. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At my house the relative placement of the butter wouldn't matter as the dogs catch & devour anything buttered before it hits the floor.

23. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1(including the stupid cat)

24. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i always have too many film holders stuck in a container when i shoot
    ( car case, igloo, duffle or fiber box ) i just grab the film holder by the outer edge
    when i pull one out of the pack. i haven't found the need to buy pouches or put everything in ziplock,
    but it sounds like a worthwhile purchase if you have trouble grabbing the outside edges ...

( the other solution is to buy a bunch of grafmatic backs they have a dark slide lock that works
    and each back takes up a tiny amount of space compared to film holders )

25. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Good morning;

Yes, this question is slightly "off topic."

Does anyone recognize the black nylon cases with Velcro closures that are shown in the photograph holding the RiteWay film holders?

Who made them? Where can they be found? How much are they?

I am not sure that this is a genuine Graphlex accessory; the Velcro closure was not yet all that popular by the time that they discontinued manufacturing the Speed Graphic and similar cameras. It is possible that these cases are much more recent and I am hoping that they might still be available.

26. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep each film holder in its own plastic bag. I draw the bag out of the camera bag and I have not problems. However I use the Grafmatic 45s more that sheet film holders.

Steve