Hi All...New Member

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by foxyscootie, Oct 26, 2005.

1. foxyscootie

foxyscootie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all, I'm Valerie, an amateur photog in Huntsville, AL. I have been lurking on apug for a few months, but this is my first post, seeking opinions on Nikon F bodies...

I am considering either a used F4s or a used F5. I have purchased Nikon AF lenses(50mm/1.8 & 24mm/2.8) for the body & was dead set on getting the F4s until someone offered me a deal on an F5. Now I'm not sure which is better. All the research has my head spinning. So I come to the wonderful APUG community for opinions on either body. :smile:

My decisions for choosing the F4s were based on the fact that I could afford lower priced, better quality MF lenses over AF lenses. While I'm sure I want most of my cash(ha, ha) to go into fast glass, I do need a sturdy dependable body & all the research says both bodies provide this with the F5 being significantly heavier than the F4.

So...do you have any thoughts on either body?

2. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Hi Valerie,
    I'm not familiar with Fs past the F3 but welcome to APUG

3. foxyscootie

foxyscootie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the welcome, Neal

4. robert watling

robert watling Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Valerie, welcome. I just joined today and have been extended a very warm welcome so I'd like to extend you the same.

robert.

5. foxyscootie

foxyscootie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Robert...welcome to you as well.

6. joeyk49

joeyk49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Val, Robert:

Welcome to the dark side! I hope you realize that there's no going back!

I think that you'll find the personalities here inviting, helpful, interesting and entertaining. This is by far the best site for analog photography and the people that are hooked on it. Be sure to subscribe so that it stays viable.

Val: I'm a Minolta shooter, so I really can't help much. But there are plenty of Nikon people here to help.

7. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I have an F5 and I wouldn't trade it for anything. :D You can use manual and AF lenses on it. I had held an F4/F4s in a local camera store and it is lighter than the F5, but I like the feel of the F5 ergonomically in my hands. I shoot 8x10 a lot these days, so the weight of the F5 doesn't bother me in the least.

8. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have used a Nikon F5 some times now...the best Nikon F-something I used (compared to the F, F2, F3, F4 that I also have tried few times).

But then...I am a Canon guy so I haven't had much experience with it.

9. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just make sure you note the weight and ergonomics and figure out the lenses you want to see what your going to carry. I almost upgraded to a F4 except for the size/weight compared to my old Nikon 8008 now gone. Nowdays I carry a N80 just because its so light, has incorporated flash, but the downside is it's not as robust as a F4/5. I shoot mf so the N80 is just a family and knockabout shooter, something a little larger then an older p&s, but with more features. If you haven't bought yet, maybe consider different lines as well, or even an older camera.

10. foxyscootie

foxyscootie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone for your comments & the warm welcome wishes.

Joey, <----Check it out I became a subscriber!!! :D Long live APUG!!!
    I currently shoot Minolta also Maxxum 5, STSi, 400si and occasionally I use a Yashica G that belonged to my dad. I am definitely a film girl! :smile: I love it!! I recently started doing my own b&w developing as well so now I'm really hooked. Next comes printing...

Diane & Morten thanks for the opinions on the F5. I'm still weighing my options & there is a photog expo this weekend that I will attend to check out prices.

Wayne, after researching other bodies, I think either the F4/5 has the features & options I need/want from Nikon. I do want to shoot MF one day though too. I have a Holga, but have only shot a couple of 120 rolls so far. Would really love a Pentax 645 or Mamiya, but alas, my finances aren't always kind enough to let me play with my passion exclusively. :smile:

11. Ara Ghajanian

Ara Ghajanian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Valerie,
    I'm an F3 guy myself, but I am considering getting an F4 in the future. For me the fact that the F4 has knobs instead of LCD readouts is the big selling point. Yeah, the F5 has more features, etc., but I love the more manual feel of the F4. Just something you may want to consider.

Enjoy your stay in APUG land,
    Ara

12. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Welcome Valerie from Dave in Vegas...love my F3 got 2 of em....stole one from Christian Olivet....

13. foxyscootie

foxyscootie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ara, strangely enough that's another selling point for me with the F4. Something about those knobs turns me on. LOL! :smile:

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

14. foxyscootie

foxyscootie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just wanted to let you all know I purchased an F4s today from keh. Thanks for the advice & help everyone. :smile:

15. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Good luck with the site and your new camera. Be sure to post some images !

16. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Val, we love to have those lurking about come out in the open. I have a Nikon F4 and have loved it from the day I got i. I don't know anything about the F5 but the F4 is a work horse. It's great for people like me who are hard on equipment. I highly recomment it. The F4 is plenty heavy so I would look at the added features for the addition weight. Good Luck

17. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Valerie! You will love this place! Congrats on the new camera, and looking forward to seeing your work!

18. Graeme Hird

Graeme Hird Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome home Valerie.

I know you'll enjoy the F4 - I have the F5 and love it, and you'll get many good years from either camera. It's the thing behind the viewfinder which determines how good your photos will be, so as long as you have a good one of them, you're set.

Cheers,

19. unohuu

unohuu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome Val, from one of the Minolta fan club. I almost bought and F4s; I might not be parting with the Nikon kit I have if I had bought up instead of where I did. FG just seemed to small. Luke

20. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You would certainly not have that (FG size)problem with the F4, and surely not the F5 - blunt weapons of war, both! Then again, I too, like that about a camera.

But I like my FG as well - it has a lot going for it, but it is NOT in the same class as the single digit F's, so you have to align your expectations with that fact.

21. unohuu

unohuu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have decided I am going to stay with the Minoltas. I already have Maxxum 5 and Maxxum 7 and plenty of lenses. I wanted to try the Nikon system and have access to that massive collection of lenses (some rentable here in MN). But I found that I have been shooting Minolta too long. It just means I will have to save and save for the more exotic glass that they offer. And I still have the Mamiya for medium format. Luke

22. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think its a wise decision - you make the photo, and the more comfortable you are with a camera, the better the photo will be! Sticking with what you know (unless there is a large and obvious quality difference - not the case here!) is never a bad choice!

23. foxyscootie

foxyscootie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Luke, thats a great decision. I only have a Maxxum 5 now that is reliable & a couple of lenses that I use. So switching to a different system will hopefully not be too difficult, but I have grown accustomed to my Minolta after having it for a couple of years. I'll have to see how the transition goes. :smile:

24. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Valerie,
    I used to own an F4s (I've got an F5 now). The F4 is a brilliant camera and worth the money for its looks! Like so many here, I like the F4s for its knobs and dials. I really only traded it for the F5 because I wanted the upgraded autofocus. This is the only 'negative' point about the F4 (IMO), it has a rudimentary autofocus by todays standards. But, if you don't require AF, then I would say the F4 is in many respects the equal of the F5. They both eat batteries though (especially the F5)! Enjoy your F4s and BTW, welcome to APUG!