Hi All Neweeeeeey calling

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by shadesofgrey, Jun 18, 2005.

1. shadesofgrey

shadesofgrey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi everyone, first time on site so apologeeeeeees if I post in wrong place; have to find my way arond.

Question! Anyone shot B&W in an F5 while on Matrix metering? Just thought I'd ask before I ruinin a roll of Neopan 400.

Talk to you all later.

Brian.

2. Carol

Carol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi there and welcome Brian. I can't answer your question so I'm bumping you to the top of the list where someone else may be of assistance. Hope you enjoy your time here.

3. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Call me naive, having never used anything remotely as sophisticated as matrix metering -- but what makes you think a system that correctly exposes color won't correctly expose B&W?? There is the ever-present issue of whether you believe the film manufacturer's ISO rating, of course, but that comes up with color films, too. And if I can get good results with my educated eyeball and Sunny 16, I can't see matrix metering being any worse unless the meter is badly misadjusted in the first place...

4. Dr.Kollig

Dr.Kollig Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    No problem using a F5 in Matrix mode with b/w film, even with moderate filters like yellow/orange.

5. Jan Cornelius

Jan Cornelius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I shot Ilford Pan in matrix mode on my wife F100 .... came out just as good as it does on my manual FM....
    Don't know what it does with orange/red filters though

6. alien

alien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My F5 works great with b&W - have not ever shot any colour in it, to be honest.

Go for it!

7. shadesofgrey

shadesofgrey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks to all

Hi Carol. Thanks for the free ‘bump’ and the welcome; hope to talk/type with you again soon. Hi Donald; I don’t have a problem with Matrix metering; I’m just trying to understand it better and the ‘Doc’ (hi Doc) hit the nail on the head thanks Doc. Hi Jan; thanks for the info; now we both know what filters will do. Question! Do you have a problem with dust in you F100? Hi Alien…I’m like you; only shoot B&W: maybe the odd roll of slide now and then. Nothing against colour/color, just that I don’t have an…airbrush! Nice one Doc.

Talk to you all soon.

B.

8. jjstafford

jjstafford Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Background: I was a newsphotographer, then photojournalist when all we shot was B&W then moved into magazine features and color years later. Your matrix meter is just fine, but for B&W you need to pay special attention to the subject's light. Shooting B&W is different in special respects - most subjects yield interpretable images in color while B&W is unforgiving - it wants contrasts to make points. Shadows that work in color might be disappointing in B&W. Contrast filters and a polarizer are your friends.

If you want to appreciate how your matrix metering works, shoot some pictures with the meter off and use handheld meter readings (start with incident to keep it simple) and then make the shot again, letting the default settings matix system make the decision.

9. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use an F5 loaded with HP5 and find the matrix metering generally excellent. You've still got to find your own personal film speed though. HP5 works better for me at 200asa regardless of which of my cameras I'm using. It's not foolproof and CW or spot may sometimes be the better option. BLIGHTY

10. shadesofgrey

shadesofgrey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the info guys. JJ; there’s an email on its way to you. Blighty; HP5 @ 200 explain how you arrived at that? I’ve tried it at 320-250, went back to 320. What dev are you using?

Cheers B.

11. Dr.Kollig

Dr.Kollig Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Airbrush... actually I used Airbrushs before cameras, and you have to clean them after each colour, so I was afraid I would have to clean cameras after using colour film and decided to use b/w films.
    Film speed depends on the metering you are using, for general stuff I used the Matrix and set the speed for HP5+ to 400, but for more critical work I used the spot metering connected to the focus field. Having a soft enlarger light I can develop films to higher contrast getting a bit more speed, getting closer to 400.

Regards,

Wolfram

12. shadesofgrey

shadesofgrey Member

Shooter:
    35mm