Hi from a new recruit

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kaiserkudo, Aug 23, 2012.

1. kaiserkudo

kaiserkudo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just a shout out / intro from a (film) newbie in Qld. Been shooting DSLR for 6 yrs now and bought a Rolleicord about 6 months ago and have been doing B&W development at home. Just picked up an RZ 67 kit to add to the MF fetish and hope to start doing my own C-41 at home too.

Chemicals have been a pain in the arse to source - I'm waiting hear back from AG Photographic to see if theyre still shipping C41 chemistry down here - as Vanbar didnt have individual chems that I need. Freestyle have the Unicolor powder kits but I've heard a kit with seperate bleach and fix will give better results.
    At the moment I'm using a mail order place and paying $8 for C-41 and $12 for E-6 per roll + $6 for TIFF scans.
    Looking forward to seeing some results from the new Plustek 120 scanner - to see whether its worth the investment.

Anyhow, great to have a forum devoted to film. Look forward to contributing something when I get competenent enough haha :smile:

2. Joachim_I

Joachim_I Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome aboard.

3. nicholai

nicholai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always find it odd when american complain about sourcing, because i have the choice of only three european dealers, and often have to order from US dealers in the end.

4. Joachim_I

Joachim_I Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Americans? Queensland is still part of Australia.

5. nicholai

nicholai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ha. The more you know! That was my fault then. (I always seem to forget about that place...)
    Nevertheless, welcome to the forum, i hope you enjoy your mamiya, i sure as hell love my rb67.

6. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG :smile:

7. kaiserkudo

kaiserkudo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks! I've just ordered the 5L Rollei Digibase C-41 kit from macodirect, now just the long wait for it to get here. In the mean time I need to pick up some ND grads - poor wallet.

8. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG -- we're glad to have you here!

9. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome. Enjoy your winter while you can... (have enough of this summer already. Way too hot.).

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

11. HYPENEKO

HYPENEKO Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome, glad I know I'm not the only one new here! I'm in Brisbane too and shoot with a Mamiya 645 Pro TL.

12. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

13. Colin D

Colin D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, welcome on board you two Queenslanders, I've just returned from some of your more pleasant climate.

14. LFman

LFman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hey mate! I'm in Brisbane... Welcome aboard. Would love to shoot some landscapes out your way. Nothing in Brisbane inspires me. We'll have to catch up some time. :smile:

15. fenderslash

fenderslash Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all. Been a member here for quite a while, but never actually introduced mysefl before. With all these other Queenslanders making themselves known I thought I should join the fun. I live in Townsville and am an avid film shooter, doing my own b&w developing. My favourite shooters are...

Pentax Spotmatic SPII for the enjoyment old manual 35mm photography;

Canon EOS-1v for when I need fast auto-everything;

Mamiya C330f for the medium format TLR experience;

Hasselblad 500C/M for the medium format SLR experience;

Wollensak Stereo 10 - 1950s 35mm 3D camera. I absolutely LOVE this thing, and the stereo slides I create with it just blow everyone away.

The digital revolution has its downsides, but in many other respects it's a great thing for us film users. The high-end pro gear of yesterday is now so affordable. Eg. I think the rrp of an EOS-1v body was about AUS$4000 when they were Canon's front-line weapon, and I got a "brand new" unused one for $800! And it's not as if a Mamiya C330f or an EOS-1v can't take good photos anymore now that the pros have stopped using them.