Hi From Montreal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Alexis M, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Alexis M

Alexis M Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all!

I recently got into photography, I’d say maybe 8 months ago. Funny thing is all I needed was a darn camera to make videos with and then I got hooked to actually taking pictures. I got a top end digital superzoom and got into it quite a lot but I always had the impression that film was for the more “knowledgeable” and you couldn’t use film unless you were a real pro because it’s difficult. But I wanted to upgrade to a DSLR but wasn’t sure I’d need it…so I got myself a AE-1 with 3 canon lenses for 100$ to try it out…well that’s when my love for film started.

I now use a Mamiya M645 1000s mostly in BW and take pictures of nature, street, abstract or really anything that catches my eye. I must say that I prefer street right now though… I prefer the process with film, the fact that it requires skill and well I prefer my nice mechanical metal camera to the expensive plastic toy. The look of course is way richer and warm with film, I mean you have to be in denial to believe otherwise. And I’m not just comparing to my digital but other peoples shots with top end DSLR’s. My film pics are the only ones I print and I develop my BW myself. But I like using my digi for tests and for pictures I need quick feedback on.

I am obviously beginning in this art form, I need feedback and advice from people who know what they are talking about. I get some good shots and a lot of the pictures I make get positive feedback but when I look at what’s out there I know there is much to learn!

Cheers!

2. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Welcome to the site.
    There's always much to learn.

-rob

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. Have fun.

Jeff

4. Robert Ridyard

Robert Ridyard Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Greetings from a fellow Montrealer.

5. Michael R 1974

Michael R 1974 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Alexis. Welcome to APUG. I'm also from Montreal. If you need any help or advice regarding materials, techniques etc I'm glad to help.

Michael

6. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Alexis.

7. Pasto

Pasto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome from another Montrealer! I guess there are quite a few of us here. Wouldn't it be great if we had an active local APUG group :smile:

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, from the south-west corner of the country.

9. Alexis M

Alexis M Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nice welcome! Glad to see people from where I live. I do have some questions indeed …like besides Lozeau is there anywhere else to get film and chemicals? Need chemicals…I develop but I’m going to make a darkroom soon so…

10. Michael R 1974

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not really anymore. Photo Service on Notre Dame in Old Montreal has a small analog section about the same size as the few shelves at Lozeau, with a slightly larger selection. Like Lozeau they have all the Kodak and Ilford films so there's no problem there.

They've got the various Kodak and Ilford developers (for film and paper), stop bath, fixer, wetting agent, and some basic toners. They also have some of the standard Ilford papers (which are excellent). Everything you need to get started. As you go along if you want to start trying different types of paper, less standard chemicals and stuff, you basically have to order them from the states from places like Freestyle, B&H etc. But to get started, you'll find what you need here.

11. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Alexis and welcome to APUG. I also have the Mamiya M645 1000s with the F1.9 lens and it is a nice camera although I have not used it for a while. Take care.

12. Robert Ridyard

Robert Ridyard Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Camtec on Notre Dame, near Saint-Laurent is a good place.

13. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from the centre of the universe (Toronto).

14. naeroscatu

naeroscatu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG from Newmarket, ON. Learning never ends but here we also have fun doing it...

15. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from the same city....again :smile:

16. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Alexis! I never lived in Montreal (only got as far east as Toronto) but it's definitely one of my favourite cities in Canada. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

17. papagene

papagene Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alexis - hello and welcome to APUG!! :D

18. jk0592

jk0592 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Alexis,
    Welcome to APUG, from another Montrealer.
    Bienvenue...

19. Alexis M

Alexis M Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Awesome 2 more places: camtec and photo service! And what a nice welcome guys thanks.

20. Michael R 1974

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They're within walking distance of eachother. I'd go to Photo Service first. They have more film and newer stock since the turnover is higher. They sell the B&W films in the front. At the back of the store is the darkroom section where you'll find the chemistry, a small selection of darkroom items (graduates, tanks, trays, etc), and paper. Camtec doesn't have much in the way of chemistry or paper.

21. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bienvenue de la part d'un autre montréalais!

22. Pasto

Pasto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Regarding places to shop for stuff, I now stay away from Lauzeau. Just about everything I ask for they reply "I think it's been discontinued"! I do all my local shoping at Photo Service. They have no problems ordering my RA4 chemicals. But really, all of my film and paper is ordered from B&H. When I calculate shipping and taxes, it's still at least 25% cheaper than buying/ordering within Canada (Henry's or Vistek) and certainly a lot cheaper than buying in Montreal, and it's delivered to my door!

Have fun :smile:

23. Robert Ridyard

Robert Ridyard Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I also order film from B&H. A roll of Tri-X costs $2 more in Montreal than what you pay for it when you order from B&H, and this includes shipping. Of course, you have to order at least 20 rolls for this to be worthwhile. Someone is making a hefty profit on Tri-X in Canada.

24. Michael R 1974

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agree with Pasto and Richard. I still buy some of my chemicals and film here, but I get my paper from B&H so whenever I need to order paper it's worthwhile throwing in some film and chemistry while I'm at it. For some of the more oddball films and chemistry I've also ordered from Freestyle and DigitalTruth on occasion. Photographers Formulary also. We get ripped off pretty bad here on a lot of things.

25. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG