Hi from New York

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by cordeliat, Sep 12, 2013.

1. cordeliat

cordeliat Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been shooting for about a year digitally, 9 months analog. I plan on going to college for photography (I'm currently a senior in high school) and since I don't have a photo class in real life right now I decided I should have at least some community to discuss photography with. I use a Nikon f2 mostly, but I also have a yashica-mat, a Soviet rf and a few toy cameras. I want to try large format someday, but for now 35mm and 120 work fine. I mostly use b/w and home develop but I don't have room for an enlarger setup in my cramped house so I usually just scan and archive my negatives. I shoot street a lot, it's more accessible for me than most other types of photography and NYC is a constant source of great subjects.

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

3. Nathan Riehl

Nathan Riehl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow, someone that's actually younger than me on the forum. Welcome! I'm almost 20 years old. In the process of finishing my last college class. I think you should at least consider some photography electives if you get the chance. Black and White 35mm Photography is probably the most beneficial class I ever took. What kind of toy cameras do you use? As for me, a member of a Flickr group was kind enough to give me a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye with a flipped lens.

4. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Nice to meet you...I was born and raised in NYC myself (22 year old recent BFA graduate)...best thing to do is just shoot shoot shoot. There's nothing wrong with scanning your negatives (regardless of what anyone else may say) and it will teach you to have an eye not only for a good negative, but also how to handle a file in the digital workspace effectively. Also (you probably know this already being an NYC kid) go to museums constantly, it will serve you well.

Do you have a tumblr or anything like that?

Best,
    Chris

5. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love reading such enthusiastic introductions.

Welcome to APUG. Good to have you here.

:smile:

Ken

6. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG :smile:. You are in a good direction, and in a good place. I suggest you to start making contact copies of your negatives: you don't need enlarger - it is fun, you will have some prints in your hands. When holding print (contact copy) in your hands - satisfaction will be even greater, trust me :smile:

regards,

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might consider using your bathroom as provisional darkroom. In case you have a bathtub you might install a board above it and set up enlarger and trays there.

You might also consider a cabinet darkroom.

Or a tent construction. There is a dedicated tent from Nova but also several for weed growing (though with highly reflective lining):
    http://www.google.de/search?q=nova+darkroom+tent&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1H8xUtK6HeWA7QbclYCIAg&sqi=2&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=624&dpr=1

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013
  8. MaximusM3

MaximusM3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    As a fellow New Yorker..welcome to APUG! Keep on shooting and have fun. No shortage of inspiration in NY. :smile:

9. Vincent Brady

Vincent Brady Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome to APUG a great site to share your photography.

10. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to apug.
    Maybe someone here can point you in the direction of a darkroom close to you.
    Good luck and congratulations on a fine start.

11. MichaelR

MichaelR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Printspace on West 19th street between 6 and 7th Avenues has great facilities and a wonderful environment. The staff is very knowledgable and helpful. All you need to bring are your negatives and some paper. Their number is 212-255-1919.
    Good luck!

12. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG!

Jeff

13. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also if you hang out in williamsburg/bushwick, the Bushwick Community Darkroom is worth a visit as well.

14. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi and Welcome to APUG