Hi : ) !!! - Hasselblad focusing screen problem!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by igmolinav, Feb 2, 2013.

1. igmolinav

igmolinav Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

I have a Hasselblad 500C. To focus
    I use the regular viewfinder it came
    with the camera. I am assuming the
    focusing screen also came with the
    camera. (This camera I bought it
    second hand).

I also bought from Kiev, the russian
    middle format maker, a 45º viewfinder.
    With this one, it is a bit harder to
    focus. It is not as if with the regular
    viewfinder may be a piece of cake to
    focus with, but it is much easier!

I am blaming it all on the focusing
    screen! Is there a "cleaning" solution
    for the focusing screen that you may
    want to recommend or is there a brand
    name or model for a used screen that
    you may want to recommend??

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

2. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Is it possible that you need glasses and the 45 degree viewfinder needs a diopter?

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It sounds as though the focusing screen is positioned correctly or the camera body is out of alignment. You may need a Hasselblad repairman adjust your camera.

4. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When I had my Hasselblad, I got one of the cheap focusing screens you find on eBay, sold from Hong Kong. With the 45 degree split, I found it much easier to use than the standard one. I got something very similar for my Rolleiflex from Rick Oleson, but I don't think he does Hasselblad screens.

I find a very simple split screen can make focusing these things much easier.

5. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    While using Kiev 45 prism on Hasselblad, I found that is way easier for me to focus after I added -1 diopter to it. I'm wearing glasses all the time, -2.5 diopters on right eye. Took prism to local optical shop (the one where they rally know how to cut real glass) and they did it. Not expensive at all. After that it was way easier to use prism with all kinds of Hasselblad focusing screens. YMMV!

6. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't know if they still do it but several years ago I wanted to be able to focus with the 45 degree prism finder and called Hasselblad. They had me send a copy of my reading glasses Rx and sent the appropriate diopter adapter.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

7. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Boy oh boy--working on Hasselblads, have I ever learned MY lesson on changing screens, and especially using off brands. Never again. You'd be surprised how the screen-to-mirror distance changes switching screens as if you're switching a band-aid. Especially with those off-brands. If you're happy, you're happy. But you were only lucky.

8. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1 for a split screen, the only way to go with a prism finder

9. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The only problem is that metering prisms don't work well with split screens

10. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OP MAY also have one of the old old old screens that is dark, fingerpinted, dirty, and damages.
    The OLD OLD screens are very dark, and the prism makes the situation worse.
    Hunt down a newer screen or just buy an accu-matt as they are worth it. Especially if you are using an f4 lens.

Oh... is you lens stopped down? Just asking, as it sounds like the whole rig is new to you.

11. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OP has a 500 C so popping out the screen and replacing it isn't so straightforward.

IMO focussing a hasselblad takes a bit of experience and the prisms end up making things darker.

12. igmolinav

igmolinav Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

Thank you for all your advice : ) !!!

I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

13. Douglas Fairbank

Douglas Fairbank Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is true that the best thing to do is have a Hasselblad experienced repair guy check it, especially for mirror alignment in an old body. If your main problem is that the screen is dirty you could take care to remove the screen and count the turns on the screws as you take them out and note which way up the two screens are. Wash the screen with a little detergent, don't use anything stronger than alcohol if you wanted to use a spirit solvent, you may lose the black crosses. Finally put it all back and using a loupe or magnifier to check the focus on the screen at infinity and at a closer measured distance, adjust all the screws the same amount so that the screen remains flat.
    This is a not a technique that I would recommend to all because it cannot be accurate compared to a Hasselblad set up using factory tools but it may help you to see what improvements are possible so that you can see that having it set up to factory spec is worth while.
    DON'T force the small screws, you really don't want to break them, trust me!