hi ppl need some help :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by wazzalicious, Jun 17, 2011.

1. wazzalicious

wazzalicious Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    hello there i havnt done this since high school and found my camera it is a Pentax k 1000 im pretty sure ... and just i forget wat i need to take photos with this camera and what i need to develop the photos so any advice or help would be awesome also could jst a normal bedroom be set up for a dark room ??? thanks heaps guys :smile:

2. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, or should I say welcome back to film ?

To make pictures with the camera, all you need a film.

Depending on what you want to do, a normal bedroom could make for a darkroom, provided you can have some running water not too far away from it.

Obviously you'll need to make it real dark if you want to develop film, or may be use a loading bag to get the film from the canister to the reel and then in the tank.

You'll need some developing tanks (Jobo or Paterson, whatever you'll find), the chemicals : developer (I'd advise on X-tol but it comes in 5 liters kit, some will advise on D76 or ID11, they are fine also), fixer (I like Tetenal's Superfix) and there you go.

Drying the film might be the tricky part if you want to get it reasonably free of dust, unless you can hang it in the shower (this makes miracles for me).

If you want to enlarge, then of course you'll need an enlarger, some paper, and the corresponding chemicals, plus some trays to hold the chemicals.

3. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Home Wazzalicious !

Ron

4. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG! For more information check out the library.

Jeff

6. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

Steve

8. wazzalicious

wazzalicious Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    ok thnx guys yeah i love taking pics this way heaps better :smile: ... another question where to i buy the fil and chemicals from ?? and after taking all the pics from my camera how do i put it on the paper?? ha ha it has been that long i forgot how to do everything like wat to do from step 1 to the last step any help will be rad,

9. puptent

puptent Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Go to your local library. Photography is usually in the 700's (Dewey Decimal) in the non-fiction area. There are a ton of books, most written twenty years ago, or so, that will take you step by step. They might be old, but things in film haven't changed that dramatically. Look for books with the word Basic in the title. If you live in a big enough city, you might get lucky and have a photography store that stocks chemicals and film. But the important thing is to go in and talk to them, maybe they can steer you to a tutor, mentor, or a class. Freestyle Photographic Supplies is a great on line store <freestylephoto.biz> You might start out by buying a few rolls of color print film that you can get developed at a drug store, or other store with a one-hour photo (C-41 process). If you hit the tab here at apug marked Articles, you can search all kinds of helpful contributions written by members. If you have a specific question, enter it in the search box here at apug, and you will google the archives. The initial cash outlay can be frightening, an enlarger, a dark room, supplies; but it doesn't have to be done all at once. Most everything that you need is available on e-bay, and at <keh.com>. You don't have to jump in head first, run some rolls through the camera, get them developed locally and post your images on apug, read some introductory books, meet the photographers in your area, and get out there. The Pentax is a decent camera to start with, a good camera to learn the exposure basics. Have fun!!!

10. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. puptent

puptent Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are some very good videos on youtube, jbrunner from here at apug has some on darkroom technique.

12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    JBrunner, one of our monitors, has made several excellent darkroom videos on YouTube.