HI! San Francisco!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Beeropez, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Beeropez

Beeropez Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am new here. About to turn 30, and just moved to san francisco from seattle. Film was my passion in college, and tried going to university for it, but funding was dropped for the program, and took out the darkrooms and only left a small class left for photoshop. lammeee. Life got completely changed, and photography was just a hobby after that. Anyways, i plan to be active here. Film photography is one of my main passions, and now i plan on putting most of my free time dedicated to the craft. I like creative/abstract and artsy photography. Anything creative and expressive.

I'll be browsing the forums, and catching up rather than asking redundant questions. although one thing i am curious about, any members here recommend a good 35 mm color slide scanner?

Nice to meet you all!

Brian

2. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Brian and welcome to APUGland:D.The Bay Area has inspired many fine photographers over the years!

3. Trail Images

Trail Images Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Brian, and welcome to APUG.
    For scanners, if you plan to only shoot 35mm then there are some excellent 35mm dedicated units out there. If you're like many who have thoughts of doing more then one format then I'd look to buy a flatbed scanner that will support 35-120-4x5. Again, there are plenty of those units new and on the eBay too.

Look forward to seeing some of your work in the near future.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

5. Beeropez

Beeropez Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks for the warm welcome. look forward to sharing some of my work as well as seeing all of your work too.

6. Beeropez

Beeropez Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I will probably stick to only 35 mm slide film for the time being, so a flat bed isn't really the best idea at the moment because i will be traveling abroad this summer. Hoping for something portable!

7. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have never used one, but the 'Pakon' scanners look very interesting. They are made for minilabs, so very fast, and oddly, not that expensive. The maximum resolution on them is pretty low compared to say, a Nikon Coolscan or a Plustek, but if you want to scan a whole roll in a few minutes, and not that fussy about ultimate resolution, they look very tempting.

I do very little 35mm, so it's not for me, but if you're only using 35mm, then well worth a look.

8. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Brian and welcome to APUG.

9. Beeropez

Beeropez Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Great, thanks for the heads up. Speed isn't a huge deal at the moment but the pakon is still an option. Although, I def have been eyeing the plustek options.

10. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Brian.

11. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Welcome to SF and APUG, 2 great places!

12. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG and to San Francisco, hope you're saving your money for your rent.... :smile:

13. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Brian to APUG.

Jeff

14. Clovis Blevins

Clovis Blevins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got the Plustek OpticFilm 8200i with Silverfast. The manual feed is a pain. This is a decent scanner, but two great downfalls of this scanner are:
    *With underexposed transparencies, the backlight doesn't cut the mustard and the scans are extremely noisy.
    *When using Silverfast and setting the curves via the histogram and RGB sample points, the darker the area, the more likely the final image will deviate from the scan. For example, you manipulate the curves until a dark area reads 15R,15G,15B and the output file will have this area exhibit 45R,7G,12B or something like that. It's like it's doing a VERY BAD conversion internally from AdobeRGB to sRGB. I emailed Plustek and Silverfast and got an email 2 weeks later that said something to the effect of "your monitor is not calibrated." Hogwash. I managed colors numerically - the monitor was irrelevant. Now if you do a HDR scan with ICE at 7200dpi, each frame will take in excess of 10 minutes to scan. On dense negatives, I've resorted to projecting them and photographing the projected image. The results were better.

The following bad image represents a slightly underexposed Kodachrome slide using HDR at 2400dpi for a 4 minute scan per frame which didn't match the numbers adjusted. The good image represents a 30 second scan at 2400dpi which matched the numbers perfectly. The slides are circa 1947. By the way, the colors for both slides when projected were SPOT ON perfect. One just happened to be slightly underexposed.
    Untitled-(53).jpg
    Untitled-(12)web.jpg

15. Beeropez

Beeropez Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I kinda lucked out and managed "free" rent. I work part time at a hostel for my accommodations :D

16. Beeropez

Beeropez Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Definitely good to know. I definitely need good resolution. I will be making online prints with mag cloud soon

17. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I want to know if there are still hippies who lives in their small huts in a japanese style , bamboo at the ground , a coal burner , gas light may be. I read Kerauac and his friends having great fun. May be modern sf is huge different ?

18. Beeropez

Beeropez Member

Shooter:
    35mm

I believe that is a thing of the past. We still pay a lot of tribute to the Beat writers here, but with the exception of the homeless, SF is for "rich' (median cost for a studio apt here is 2,600$ a month) people. It's not really suited for the transient artsy travelers like they portray in the books.

If you don't fall into that category, then you need to be extremely adaptable and resourceful to find an acceptable living situation

19. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. Scanning questions beyond getting work uploaded to our galleries are best addressed at our sister site, DPUG, but you'll find a trove of information here regarding film and analog printing. Rayko photo center in San Francisco is an excellent resource.. I'm pretty sure they have darkroom rentals there! Welcome :smile: !

20. Beeropez

Beeropez Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    great thank you! I had someone tell me about ryko this week. Really looking forward to checking it out

21. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Also check out Glass Key on Haight St., Matt's a cool guy with lots of great analog stuff

22. Beeropez

Beeropez Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah, that's also on the list. I talked to a guy at a photoshop in the mission, and he told me about ryko, glass key and a couple others, as well as telling me about this forum! :D