Hiding dust marks on prints

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by BMbikerider, Aug 9, 2012.

1. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If we are printing from negatives or transparencies in a darkroom we will at some time get dust spots or hair, no matter how careful we are making sure that the negative is blemish free. Spotting inks are (in the UK) almost bank loan prices, but a good alternative for colour as well as monochrome is to use inks from an inkjet printer. They are water soluble and will do the task just as efficiently as those dyes sold especially for the purpose and at a mere fraction of the price..The colour variations possible are almost infinite.

2. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a set of these some years ago for some particularly difficult spotting. I found them to be entirely useless and went back to Spotone and brush.

I think the OP's suggestion to be interesting, although I'm not sure how you get the inks safely out of the cartridges.

4. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One of the refill kits would do the job I think? The sort where you get tiny little bottles of ink and a syringe for the actual re-filling.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which just shows that YMM indeed V.

I find Spotone pens to be great - far easier to use (for me) than a brush.

Maybe it is because I am left handed:wink:.

With respect to the OP's suggestion, I would expect that some of the inkjet inks would work better than others. Inks designed to be used with baryta coated papers would probably be ones to consider.

6. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Many of those inks though, are extremely toxic.

7. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I use the Peerless watercolor sheets and a spotting brush. $13 and they last forever.
    CompleteEdition.jpg

8. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bump. I need to invest in something for spotting RA-4. Any new advice, or are some of these no longer available?