HIE Please?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by sidearm613, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidearm613

sidearm613 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hate being repetitive, but does anybody have a roll or two of Kodak HIE they would be willing to part with and sell to me? i live in So Cal and can pay for the film provided the price is within reason.

Thanks,
    D

2. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I hate to say it, but I don't think you'll find anyone, especially with a "reasonable" price. It was something special and it has become a rarity. You would be better served with something similar and above all available. Rollei IR400, Efke 820 and Ilford SFX are possible choices, but not exactly the same thing. You can see a comparison of the 4 aforementioned films here. Good luck!

3. sidearm613

sidearm613 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I completely agree with you that finding ANYONE with HIE for sale is highly unlikely, and this is admittedly a last ditch attempt to get some. I am trying out the films you mentioned, but I am looking for HIE because, like you said, those films are not the same thing. Maybe its the anti-halo layer that those films have, but HIE produced a much more interesting effect than even the Efke IR, which is closest to HIE.
    MACO made a film a few years back called AURA that did not have an AH layer, and I would settle (dismayed sigh) for that, but I can't seem to find that either

4. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Make me an offer- you can pm me if you want.

Tim

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately, any HIE out there is likely to be substandard because it is not a film that stores well. Environmental damage (primarily from cosmic rays) is pretty much unavoidable with this film. Freezing it doesn't help much.

I hope you do find some good stock though.

6. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    This belongs in the classifieds.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.