high base fog

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by rmolson, Jul 23, 2013.

1. rmolson

rmolson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Base density level

Getting back into photography after a two year absence. I have been getting overly heavy negatives on my 35mm work So I ran a whole zone test Using HP5 rated at 250 in Claytons F-76 1:9 I got a base fog of .28!!! Which put my zone I at .50 .28 =.22. Obviously why off. I checked on both of my densitometers and they agreed. The calibration strip was spot on,.I use to do this for a living. The House is not air conditioned and the temperature got up in the 80s this summer How resistant to heat fog is HP 5? Claytons F-76 is suppose to be similar to D-76 and I never got base fog this high with D76 on Tri X.

2. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    This may be over development.

3. selmslie

selmslie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try a fresh roll of HP5 and fresh developer. Heat and other factors may have fogged your film.

4. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't tested HP5+ in particular, but with FP4+, Delta 100 and Pan F+ I normally get a film base+fog reading of ~0.30, which is normal for me with Ilford films. I get lower film base+fog levels with films like Kodak TMX/TMY (around 0.20). Ilford films simply have a higher base density. No problem.

Your zone I on the other hand seems high, although be rating the film at 250 you're giving nearly an extra stop. Hard to diagnose however without more detail regarding your film speed/testing process.

5. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    4x5 films tend to be manufactured on "clear" base, while 35mm films may have a "base tint" for antihalation purposes.

rmolson, have you ruled out what you see isn't just normal base tint?

6. rmolson

rmolson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    IF .30 is normal base density for HP5 then my reading make sense. Just use to much lower base density from sheet and roll film. Will need to adjust development times though.