High dilution LPD developer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Lee Shively, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've only used LPD developer at 1:3 and 1:4 dilution and it's been satisfactory with all the papers I've tried. I like warm-tone images. I remember reading somewhere (maybe here) that it can be used at much higher dilutions. I'm wondering what the benefits are in using it highly diluted and what dilutions are recommended.

2. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I tried it with some crazy dilutions like 1:25 once with Forte Polywarmtone. Just seems that the further you dilute it, the more it shifts from black to a lighter brown tone. The one that I used at the really diluted end took like 10 minutes to develop is really soft in contrast, and really light brown. I didn't do any adjusting on exposure or print contrast when I ran these series though, I just figured a good exposure for 1:4, and then just kept making prints and adding water to the mix after every print to get a general idea how it effects the look at higher dilutions. Might be able to do some really pretty things with it if you actual put some effort into it. I didn't since the tones I was getting at 1:4 was what I was looking for.

3. mikepry

mikepry Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I use the 1:9 dilution quite often and really like it. It is a very long lasting developer and can give cool to warm tones depending on the dilutions. Here is a photograph I posted not too long ago in the gallery section where I used the 1:9 dilution.

Ethol LPD 1:9

4. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I reported a while back on my results on this.
    I started with 1+3 dilution, and after filling my 1/2 bottle I had some left so I jusgt added water.
    I ended up with a 1+25 dilution, which wordked really nice with Ilford MG WT, much nicer browner images, and they toned differently in selenium than the ones developed in 1+3.