High speed x-ray processing - how does it work?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by mkillmer, Sep 5, 2013.

1. mkillmer

mkillmer Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've read many descriptions of X-Ray processors that produce images in just a few minutes - some are very fast...
    Konica Minolta SRX-101A produces images in 90 seconds.
    http://www.konicaminolta.com/healthcare/products/analogue/xray/

How does that work? Even if I have a Super developer, how can the fixer get washed off so quickly?
    X-rays are archival - so something tricky must be going on...
    Any ideas?
    I am mostly interested in the fixing and washing of the film. Does x-ray film not absorb the fixer (similar to RC paper?) - I am wanting to speed up my process...

2. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some films have developing agents incorporated in the emulsion. I remember using a film which developed completely in less than 1 second. Processors usually use elevated temperatures. My 49" processor would deliver a dry print or film in about that length of time. Thirty years later there is no sign of deterioration of image.

3. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not really - most have a very limited lifetime and are then sent to Ag recovery.

4. VPooler

VPooler Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    High temperatures, very high concentrations. Atleast in that machine that I saw in action. The smell of chemicals was both warm and nauseating. Took 2 minutes to spit out the film from the other end.

5. mkillmer

mkillmer Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hmmm.... not sure about that.

X-Rays are viewed as stable and permanent records. My wife commonly works with x-rays from 40 years ago.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Rapidoprint System (graphic films and papers) took only 75sec for exposed film to come out as developed, dry film (dev/fix/wash/wash/dry).

7. mkillmer

mkillmer Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I assumed something like this - do you know about washing process? Is the film base made of a different material to "normal" film? I'm curious how they can be washed so quickly.

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alternatively there are washless systems that change the unexposed halide into quite stable compounds instead of emoving them.

9. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not sure which country you refer to. In USA it varies from state to state. Typically 5 to 7 years then recycle for silver.

10. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ahh... 40 years ago - things were different.

I'm sure hospitals have x-ray labs that have more archival processes (lots of x-rays today are digital), but some places (like urgent care) need fast, simple processing.

11. mkillmer

mkillmer Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, I agree, but I believe modern x-rays will still last. The local hospitals here are all digital - film x-rays are now the domain of veterinarians.

12. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    They will last BECAUSE they are digital and part of a patent's permanent digital record that can be shared with the various doctors treating a patent.

Ag based x-rays are far too valuable as Ag scrap to sit in filing cabinets for years.

13. VPooler

VPooler Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm, I don't know the exact chemical makeup but the xray of my skull I have at home seems to be on regular polyester base.

14. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the begin substituting fxing & washing for stabilisating was popular (2 step processing).
    Then washing was re-introduced (4 step processing). Miraculous fast...

Keep in mind that most uses (like graphic arts) did not need really archival results.