Hiking in North central Pa. or "Holy S__T waddam I doin here!

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Rick A, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After nearly two full months of no measusable rainfall, it is finally greening back up here in the land of the endless mountains. Yesterday the family decided to get an afternoon hike in to scout where my daughter and I hunt for turkeys. It's a beautiful trail, actually an abandon logging road, that has a cut to access another small valley with a section of Hicks Run(middle fork). As we broke through the cut, my two daughters turned off to a small slate quarry where my youngest abruptly halted and informed her sis to "stop, and back up slowly". As soon as they were back on our trail my kids both screamed "SNAKE!!!!", and were both white as sheets. I just had to go verify what kind of snake they were afraid of, yup spotted an Eastern Diamondback poking its head out from under a ladge rock. After getting a shot of its head, I walked tothe far side of said rock(aprox 4 ft) and "holy s__t, two fat tails and another head in the process of eating a chipmonk. The feasting fatty pulled back under his rock just as I shot a pic, but check out the pair of tails sticking out from the one I saw first. Last shot is of the first one again, but I was enthralled with the marking on the back of his head. The entire time, my family was yelling at me to "get the hell away from there", hard to do with a 50mm lens and the urge to photo such magnificent creatures. On the furthest tail, we count 10 rattles plus a button, the near tail we couldn't see all the rattles due to his position, but at least eight or nine plus a button. BTW that body is well fed and as big around as the fat part of my arm, and I'm a 200lb+ man, and I ain't skinny.

Attached Files:

2. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh come on, you could have gotten closer. :smile:

3. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He could have, but then we might not have gotten to see the photos.

4. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's more than close enough for me! I've not had any real encounters, but they are pretty common across that northern tier. There used to be an annual hunt for them in Morris Run, IIRC.

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We have the Sinnemahoning snake hunt every year, thats about 20 miles from here. My daughter and I have hunted in that quarry many times, but never when it's warm enough to see these guys. It's a great spot to kick grouse and the occasional buck. We go past there about a quarter mile to call turkeys.

6. yeknom02

yeknom02 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Remember, Rick, you've got to survive long enough to invite me up to see your darkroom!

-Dan

7. daleeman

daleeman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hike with a macro next time, one should get nice details that way.