Hiroshi Sugimoto at the Fort Worth Modern

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Jeremy, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He'll be lecturing on the 12th of September, but (and this is 100% ridiculuous) his exhibition doesn't open until the 17th of September.

Fort Worth Museum of Modern Art

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Forgot to add that I'll be there along with my history of photography class.

3. celluloidpropaganda

celluloidpropaganda Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I stopped in at the Modern this afternoon on a whim (went to see the tintypes at the Cowgirl Museum and the Bound For Glory exhibit at the Amon Carter; also had to stop in at the Kimbell and see the Caravaggio, as there's nothing like standing a foot away from 15 million dollars)(I do so love the museum district sometimes), didn't even realize they had a new exhibit.

The Sugimoto show ranges from merely good (there are a couple of lone pieces by themselves) to mind-blowingly brilliant (the Buddhas, the theatres, the architecture series, the water). Conceptually rigorous, but better than that - no need for a book-length artist's statement, the images speak for themselves (and ferociously - the World Trade Center image is arresting for reasons that have nothing to do with 9/11, the theater series is positively hallucinogenic).

4. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's a fabulous show. I saw it at the Hirshhorn. Don't miss it if you're in the area.

5. sionnac

sionnac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Went to Cowgirl Museum and the Modern - The seascapes at the Sugimoto exhibit were my favorites. Cowgirl Museum has some great exhibits - the little cinema is a hoot. Tintypes?? Must have missed those!

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They have an exhibit of around 40 of Rob Kendrick's tintypes, if it was up when you were there then you *couldn't* have missed it. I think you went the weekend before the show was hung (it is in the featured exhibit room).