Hmmmm... Unforeseen problem

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Flotsam, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Last Summer, I set up a B&W printing/processing area in a corner of a room in my home. I found a convenient way to block the windows so that I can print even before the sun goes down. It has been working just great.

Then today with the weather turning cold, I was out back splitting wood and it suddenly occurred to me, "During the sub-zero (C) weeks of winter, when I have a warm fire burning in my woodstove with it's glass window front and plenty of long evenings to catch up on printing negs. How the heck am I going to keep it dark enough to print?"

Anybody got a very high temp red safelight filter?

2. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Either put red glass in the stove windows print 0 speed paper.

3. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bummer, atleast you don't have a 9x7ft hole in the side of your darkroom like me :tongue:

4. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Sean,
    Whenever I think that I have darkroom problems, I just read your "Monster Enlarger" thread and I always feel much better. :smile:

5. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Maybe you should only print when the fire's burned down to embers? I can't imagine that would do any harm...

6. Robert

Robert Member

I remember the time I was in the dark basement loading 100 feet of film into the loader. The furnace started and it looked like noon-)) This is with the furnace facing away from me. Wasn't really that bright but sure seemed that way with the light reflecting off the wall.

Can't you just get a sheet of fire rated board and temporily put it up between you and the stove?

7. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Get a large sheet of metal, ideally the kind used to make heat-shields for cars or used to make flashing for fireplaces. Build a mobile screen in front of the stove. Paint the whole thing with black exhaust paint (used in cars...very safe here).

Voila'! Fireproof. Mobile. And no nasty reflections.

And don't worry about the heat. It will be bounced back towards the stove and disipate into the house. Or you could simply aim a fan at the whole thing...

8. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Yeah, after you've been in the the dark for a while, an inch of glow tape on the other side of the room starts to look like a road flare.

I have a feeling that I'm going to have to do something like that. Some sort of screen. A Red filter would be cool, though. It would make a cheerful safelight.

9. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    lol!

10. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hope nobody else has a remote for that garage door. Having someone open the door while souping something big.......!