hocus focus

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Will S, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    At the Les McClean workshop in Texas Les (or someone) had a focusing aid called a "Hocus Focus" Very clever little gizmo. I can't find it online for sale anywhere. Does someone know where to get it? It was invented by Bob Mitchell I think from what I'm seeing online.

Thanks,

Will

2. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Well, I found it (from Nova) in England for 17 bps. It looks like Jobo should be carrying it here, but they don't seem to have it. Nova doesn't list it anymore though.

Anyone know of a supplier in the U.S?

Thanks,

Will

3. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi Will,

Could you post link to this Hocus Focus? I am sorta interested in one of those also.

lee\c

4. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  5. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am interested, too, but maybe not for around $30 plus shipping from England. :surprised:

David

6. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    not available?

The site in England that has them online says they can't sell them in the U.S. because Jobo has the distribution rights. Of course, Jobo doesn't sell them anymore....

I emailed the UK site back to see if they would sell to me anyway, but it looks like we may need someone in the UK to place the order and them mail them to the U.S.

It looks like this is another great product that is scheduled for extinction, wiped out by the digital meteor....

I'll let you know if the UK site agress to sell them in the US.

Thanks,

Will

7. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It could also be that Jobo the USA company, not the parent company is going out of business. This is not to say that Jobo the parent company is, just the USA seperate company is. They are making sure that all of their products that they carry are distributed by other companies.

This makes it so that the link to the company in England is going to be the only one through which you can buy this focus thingy. Letting the English company know the facts, will probably let them arrange for you to buy them direct. My big question would also be, does that price in Pounds reflect the added VAT they have in the EU or is that before the VAT. It might make a big difference in price.

8. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would be interested in one of these as well...let me know if you find a source.

thanks,
    Mike

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Quite right if they don't want to go against their contract with Jobo by selling in the US.

However if you order from Nova direct the point of sale is here in the UK, not the US. So they aren't being truthful, as that would not be a case of selling in the US.

I'd be happy to buy & ship for you, insured postage would be around $4. Cheaper per item if I sent more in the same package.

Ian

10. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The instructions here (http://www.novadarkroom.com/instructions/inst_hocusfocus.htm) and picture (http://www.firstcall-photographic.c...cus Focus, Non-squinting Grain Magnifier.html) might give some idea. Be aware that there is no magnification: what you see is what is on the easel, but 2 or 3 stops brighter. The image is projected by a mirror onto the underside of a frosted section of the finder. Because of the coarseness of the frosting, you can't focus on the image grain, even with a loupe, only on detail on the negative, but it happily works into the corners as long as you have some detail there.

The Firstcall price of 17GPB includes VAT so it would be 14.47 GBP outside the EU.

Bob.

11. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for the offer Ian. I'll let you know what they tell me. I forwarded them an email from someone at Jobo to me stating that they don't sell it any longer, but I have not received a reply back yet. I'm guessing they are closed down for the night.

I'll pm you if they won't ship the two I ordered to me.

Thanks,

Will

12. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Will S PM'ed me and asked if I'd make a call to Firstcall, which I've just done.

They will quite happily supply you all direct from the UK,

Ian

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was interested in this item also. So I both PM'd Will and then started to track the thing down. I will go with Will on his order, but this is the email I received this morning which should help others who are interested.

Agnes,

Thanks for your enquiry. We are able to supply these units to your photographers based on the the UK-made Hocus Focus.
    The price would be £25 delivered. (US$ 45 approx).

Please let me know if this is of interest to you.
    Kind regards.

Rodney Bates
    Sales Director

Firstcall Photographic Limited
    Bringing Home The Magic Of Photography

www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk

Contact Telephone Number: 01823 413007
    Open 8.30 a.m. - 6.30 p.m. Monday to Friday BST

My only problem with the above is that it is nearly 10 pounds to send the thing which looks to not weigh much at all. the 10 pounds would be more like $18. Seems that is awfully high for such a small and seemingly lightweight thing. I guess it depends on how much you want it.

16. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I've sent two enlarger lenses to the US in recent months I know the true costs for insured postage and you're right. Does seem rather high. and I was quite surprised when they told me.

Unfortunately retailers here do seem to like to make a good mark up on package & postage.

I did check my German Fotoimpex catalogue and the only similar alternative is a Kaiser Focus Magnifier at $33, but a far more substantial piece of equipment, and probably better.

Here's a details on another UK site:
    http://www.silverprint.co.uk/dark31.html#kaiserfocus

Ian

17. Frank F

Frank F Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I talked to JOBO... they habe zero in stock and are not supporting the product. Translation... no go. We need to get them from England/ NOVA that is also willing to ship to us at the same cost of 17GBP pre unit plus shipping.

Yes, for 10GBP, they are including some form of handling charge. The way to beat this is to order a bunch, then the handling charge goes to next to nothing. I am doing the RH Designs buy, so that is enough for me... someone else want to offer to buy these things and distribute in the US?

18. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I ordered 4 and they are already spoken for. If I get them that is. I haven't heard back about my order yet. Hopefully there will only be a 10 bps charge for shipping all 4, but I may be too hopeful there....

Thanks,

Will

19. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Make sure about VAT

As an export they can't charge you our EU VAT (value added tax) which is included in the price and is also added to the postage/shipping.

Exports are VAT free, the prices they quoted included the 17.5% VAT

Ian

20. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When you fill in the online ordering form, it asks if you are outside the EU and deducts the VAT automatically. Their terms and conditions also state that they only charge postage at cost for overseas orders.

Bob.

21. hortense

hortense Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This would be a little more that 23USD.

22. hortense

hortense Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Agnes!

23. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    This would be a little more that 23USD.

actually according to my calculator she is right at $18

lee\c

24. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I've sent email to them twice and still haven't heard back. So, I don't know what they are actually going to charge me, if they are going to charge me, and if they even have the items available.

Very strange. I guess I will try again.

Will

25. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I heard from them this morning. Looks like my order is actually going to get processed.

FYI

Will

26. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've special ordered Jobo items through the
    View Camera Store; at least Jobo's graduated
    cylinders and Jobo's excellent film squeegee.
    Email or Call. Dan