Holder Storage - dark slides in or out?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by BradS, Jun 22, 2005.

1. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I was recently advised that I should be storing my empty film holders with the dark slides removed. The rational being that leaving the dark slides in compresses the "flocking" (?) in the slot which, eventually allows the dark to escape when the dark slide is removed.

While this sounds like perfectly reasonable advice, I wonder whether there is really any need to do this - from a practical point of view. So, I guess my questions are:

1) Do you store your film holders with dark slides in or removed? and...

2) does anybody have any evidence to support the claim that storing holders with dark slides in place leads to light leaks?

2. thedarkroomstudios

thedarkroomstudios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've always stored with them in. Have bought many used ones (both wood and plastic) which seem to all have been stored in. I have heard, and it seems to make sense to me, that if they are stored in more humid environs that you should at at least do a partial pull out to allow air-flow and prevent growth. fwiw -Brad

3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you leave the slides out what keeps the dust out?

4. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've had the same six holders, Lisco Regal II's and Fidelity Elite's, for over 20 years with the darkslides always fully in. No problems. (I do however keep my focusing cloth over the camera and the holder while taking a photograph, and shade the holder while taking it from the camera bag).

Murray

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've never heard of anyone removing the darkslides for storage. It sounds like an invitation for dust to get into the holders.

6. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

I've always left my dark slides in and never had a problem. I keep my holders in plastic zip locks or zippered pillow case liners, but keeping the slides in is one more line of defense against dust.

7. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never heard that one, I have always stored mine in bags with the slides in, the help prevent dust getting into the holders.

Dave