Holga 6x12

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by Polybun, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Polybun

Polybun Guest

Holga 6x12 pin hole. anyone have one yet? I saw them in at blue moon here in portland, thinking about picking one up. First thing to go will be the spring on the shutter. what a dumb idea, a return spring on a shutter with no cord connector! I'll be damned if i'm going to stand there and hold it open for 6 minutes.

2. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I ordered one from Freestyle which arrived earlier this week. Haven't run any film through it yet. A simple cable release threads into the body, so you don't actually have to hold the shutter button down.

3. Polybun

Polybun Guest

Does it? I guess my look really was too quick then. It was just a quick glance while they told me they had already sold out of Ektar 100. (some one came in and purchased all 20 rolls they had ordered.)

I think I may pick one up on monday, slap in a roll of fujichrome and do it all wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
  4. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Go nuts! :tongue:

5. Polybun

Polybun Guest

I figured you would say go bananas.

6. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Too cliche. :tongue:

7. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just received my first roll of film done with the Holga WPC 120. Apparently one should read the instructions carefully, as I did not advance the film to the odd numbers only. The result is a very long strip of properly exposed shots with no spacing (in fact quite a bit of overlap). Now, how to print a complete strip of film?

8. asp.artist

asp.artist Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I do that with a regular Holga. I contact print them onto strips of photo paper. then decide where to cut. Its fun!
    Anne

9. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have one and I love it. There is indeed a thread for a cable release which I find pretty much essential for pinhole work. The little bubble level on the tob is a nice touch though I certainly take it with a grain of salt.

All around a fun camera to play with. I really enjoy the wide angle in combination with the long 6x12 format.

10. juliusgb

juliusgb Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I wonder if anyone can help - I can't find the instructions that came with mine and *thought* I was counting the numbers in the window correctly (only winding to the odd numbers with the pointer to '12' instead of '16')... except, that as I was using the 6 x 12 mask, all my negs have come back overlapping.

Does anyone know how to avoid overlapping shots using the 6x12 mask? Should I point the window to '16' and count every 3 frames through the red window?

Many Thanks for any help!

Julius

11. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Are you sure the mask is 6x12? I think taking the mask out will give you 6x12, but I can't check mine just now as I have film loaded. Assuming my camera doesn't have a mask in it, the procedure you've described works for me. 1, 3, 5, 9 etc. gives you 6 shots per roll.

12. geoferrell

geoferrell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got one last year and like the results I get particularly with black and white. The shutter release malfunctioned, so I take the lens cap on and off indoors and use a black cloth outdoors. The pinhole is very sharp for landscapes. And, it does seem to vignette with some of the color positive films. Overall, I think it offers an opportunity to make 6x12 pictures on a budget. I used one for the World Pinhole Day website and was amazed at all the great pinhole images.