Holga Panorama?

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by mfohl, Jan 28, 2012.

1. mfohl

mfohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello good folks, has anyone tried the Holga Panorama? The one that makes 6x12 negatives?

TIA,

-- Mark

2. FredW

FredW Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do have the Holga 120-WPC Pinhole, camera, and I really enjoy using it. You get 6 exposures per 120 roll. A definite break for the rigors we typically use, I only carry a light tripod, and a handheld light meter.

3. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also have a Holga WPC and love the results from it, but there are a couple of things to watch. On mine the tripod adaptor wasn't glued in correctly, so it came off one day while I was shooting (check it first, flex it a bit and if it comes off re-glue it). Also, the shutter vignettes one side of the negative a little - I like the look so it doesnt worry mr, but if it worries you there is an easy fix you can find via google..

For the money they are one of the best value cameras around...

4. drumlin

drumlin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm also a happy owner of a WPC. I'll echo the comments of Andrew K -- the tripod socket is pretty flimsy.

I've lately been putting 35mm film in it via the whole packing-foam-shim hack. You've got to unload it in the dark, keep the film window covered with black tape (no backing paper as with 120 film), and guess how far to advance the film after the shot. Still, I've gotten some fun sprocket shots.

[​IMG]
    sprocket forward by b.pointr, on Flickr

Some of my shots with the WPC on flickr, and a group that's focused on the camera.

5. FredW

FredW Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also had the tripod mounting plate come loose on my camera. I guess its a defect, but easy to rectify, by regluing.

I also modified mine, by buying a 46-52 step-up ring, and using a little hot melt to place the ring inside the front flange, so I could use filters.

6. mfohl

mfohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think there is a new version of the Holga panorama, one that is not the pinhole version. It's available from Freestyle, but I didn't see it in B&H. There is also a "35mm adapter" available; it looks like a pair of shims. That means I won't have to use my homemade shims! I used those in a regular 120 Holga. Yes, I have to unload in the dark, and I have to count clicks to advance the frames. It's all part of the process.

So, has anyone used the non-pinhole panorama? Anyway, I'll be sure and check the tripod socket.

Cheers,

-- Mark

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was going to use a 6x12 Holga as the basis for a camera with a 65mm lens but I made mine instead (link below). I think this camera would make a good film holder for a 6x12 DIY project.

Steve.

8. trapd

trapd Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Steve that the Holga makes a great 6x12 camera, I made mine a few months ago and it is light, compact and extremely easy to use. The lens is a fixed focus 65mm Super Angulon which will. infinity focus from f/11 upwards.

Steve

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I sometimes wish I had made mine fixed focus as it seems sharp from about 1/8" to infinity wherever I set the focus to!

Steve.

10. Silverhead

Silverhead Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Just picked up the Holga Panoramic, but haven't had the chance to bring it out yet. Have been playing around with my Holga Stereo using split-image filters on both lenses in the meantime...can't wait to see if the split-3D effect turns out as good as I'm hoping.

11. Thumb

Thumb Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    at

12. epp

epp Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    I've ordered one and it's on the way. Am curious to know how large the negatives are (both 35mm and 120 versions)...

13. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. drumlin

drumlin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nice trick! Tho my philosophy is more of a "use the force" approach. I get some overlap sometimes, but that has led to a few happy accidents.

15. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would imagine that the negatives from a 6x12 camera would be 6cm x 12cm... :smile:

16. epp

epp Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    One lab could not print them because their scanner only handles negatives up to 7cm wide.

Didn't know it was 6x12. Haven't taken the first roll yet. :smile:

17. wotalegend

wotalegend Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 120WPC which has provided some interesting results. No problems with light leaks or the tripod mount. Vignetting on 6x12 seems to vary, but I'm not sure why.

Just hit the button and ordered a 120Pan tonight. Now I have to sit back for a couple of weeks and wait for it to arrive from HK.

18. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Whilst it is perfectly feasible to imaging that, the reality will be closer to 56mm x 110mm.

No 120 film format has images quite the size which the format is known as. e.g. 6x4.5 is usually 56mm x 42mm, 6x6 is usually 56mm x 56mm.

Steve.

19. hobstrabbie

hobstrabbie Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    35mm film in 120N Holga? What an smart idea. Thank you for this!

Btw, nice sprocket shot! I would like to see some more. :D