Holga Pentax Merger

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Kilgallb, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Kilgallb

Kilgallb Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Black and White Magazine had a short article stating Holga and Pentax are merging.

Is this an April fools joke?

2. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not Holga...Hoya.

Hoya manufactures most of the optical glass used in the Japanese camera industry. I think it's about a 15 billion USD/year company.

I believe the merger was voted down by Pentax's board last week and their chairman (who was backing it) felt obliged to "resign".

From what I read, the rationale for the merger was as follows:
    - Hoya's future is less secure because alternative sources of optical glass are appearing and since the form factors of the lenses are shrinking - they are simply at risk of selling dramatically less optical glass in the future
    - One of the markets that is likely to show continued demand for optical glass in the future is medical diagnostic equipment. Pentax has diversified into this area with considerable success in the past 20 years.
    - Pentax is not cash rich and, as matters stand now, they will not be able to "run with the big dogs" (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Samsung) in the digital age
    - Hoya is very cash rich

So it's a hedging of bets for both.

I believe what's killed the merger for the moment (and Hoya has pledged to continue pursuing it) is that Pentax has been putting up very good numbers because of nice margins on DSLRs and a weak Yen. As a result, the proposed share price for the buyout seemed less than generous to a group of "activist shareholders" (seems they are springing up everywhere now...)

Pentax sells nothing I'm interested in these days, but it would be sort of sad if they left the photography playing field altogether a la Konica-Minolta last year.

3. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As of today, the merger is on hold. The two companies are continuing talks next month, but there has been some speculation in the Japanese press that the merger wont happen.

Gary

5. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

And I do mean HOYA! Not Holga, sorry for any confusion.

Gary

7. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Pentax aren't likely to disappear. They're now co-operating with Samsung on digital SLR's and the two companies' current models are very similar.

8. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just what the world needs; a Holga SLR and a Holga spot meter. Cheers!

9. nc5p

nc5p Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I worked for a Hoya subsidiary for two years. They shut the place down, I can't say they were a very nice company to work for.

10. aldevo

aldevo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Pentax-Holga manager would have been a natural match. After all, Pentax has done more to combat flare than any other lensmaker while Holga has done more to cause it.

Like Peanut Butter and Jelly!

11. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Lomography is just an excuse for marketing people to sell crap cameras to people at ridiculous prices anyway, Hang on is that what Leica do? (in reference to the re-branded Panasonic cameras, not M's)