Holga with copal shutter question

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by bimaneg, Mar 31, 2014.

1. bimaneg

bimaneg Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,
    I want to use a copal shutter with my Holga cfn, trying to fit it between body and lens, I was wondering what kind of copal shutter should I get, Copal O or 1 ? Any experiences with this mods? Thanks for any advice

2. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not just put the shutter in front of the lens? That's much less trouble than burying it in the body behind the lens.

4. bimaneg

bimaneg Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

thank you Dan Daniel, according to this i think a copal 0 it's ok.

I had already thought of this, it is very simple and certainly I'll give it a try, but maybe is annoying to have the shutter on the front lens when you put away it in your pocket

5. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had no idea a 120 film Holga would fit in a pocket. But then, the shutter I hang in front of a lens is a Compound #5 and the lens is a 900/10 Apo Saphir; nothing pocketable there.

More seriously, make a slip-on adapter that will hold the shutter.

Re shutters, and no kidding here, the most likely shutter is probably a Polaroid MP-4 (so badged) shutter. Copal Press #1, timed speeds 1 sec to 1/125 sec, and usually quite inexpensive because it has no diaphragm.

6. bimaneg

bimaneg Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  7. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting. That's a cock-and-shoot Copal #1, timed speeds 1 sec to 1/400. Not inexpensive.

8. xya

xya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    placing the shutter in front of the lens is easy to do indeed, but it's a question of sufficient diameter and the shutter price increases with the diameter. a #0 shutter has only 24mm of max opening, a #1 30mm and a #3 45mm. a #00 shutter has only 17.5mm max opening and will hardly be sufficient whereas it would be fine behind the lens.

9. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Um, er, ah, the Holga CFN 120 has a 60/8 lens. Its exit pupil is approximately 8 mm in diameter. The same is true of its entrance pupil. A #00's maximum aperture is considerably larger, won't be a problem in in front of or behind the lens.

Mounting a shutter inside the cone will create light tightness and accessibility problems. Major problems.

Mounting the lens on a shutter on the cone will add extension, will greatly reduce the lens' far focus limit.

Putting a shutter in front of the lens is the way to go.

10. bimaneg

bimaneg Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you all guys =)

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You have to get the special trousers.

Steve.

12. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ha. Good one.

13. davido

davido Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Installing a Copal shutter on a Holga is possible!

I have managed to mount a Seiko copal 1 shutter on to the body of a Holga.
    It's indeed possible but it required a fair amount experimenting and of grinding with a dremel tool.

As it turns out, the section between the lens and the body is approximately the same width as a copal 1 lens (and also a copal 0)
    I removed the lens and then that middle section. I used a hole saw to cut a 44 mm hole in the Holga body (which required further grinding with the dremel), so the copal 1 shutter would fit. The inside of the body needs much grinding- removing the rest of the raised square wall around the original square opening.
    The inner section at the top also had to be removed as it was in the way of the shutter. Half of that section was cut out with an exacto knive. The whole which was left need to be made light tight with some black plastic.

A 42mm-52 mm step up ring was used to attach the holga lens to the shutter. The thread of the Sieko shutter front is 42mm. The Holga lens barrel needed to be ground down a little (it has a notched pattern- so just grind that down) to the point in which the barred could be force-fit into the 52mm side of the step up ring. The step up ring can be simply screwed into the front of the shutter.

The result is pretty good. The lens is slightly too far from the film plane though. It doesn’t quite focus at infinity. I did not even attempt to create a lens which can change focus. I’m happy if I can get from 12ft – infinity in focus!
    As you can see from the attached picture, I’m not getting that yet. So I think shaving 1mm or so off the end of the lens barrel would help to bring the lens closer in.

I did try using a copal 0 shutter originally but the maximum aperture was not quite wide enough and there was fairly serious vignetting. I’ve attached a picture which was taken with the copal 0 shutter.

The images don’t have the Holga vignetting. I think the vignetting is a result of that inner square box around the original square opening? I do miss the vignetting and would like to recreate that look some how? However, I could just burn it in in the darkroom (as I shoot primarily B&W)

The other issue is that now that the middle section is gone, so is the tripod mount! The reason of this project was to shoot with a tripod with lower shutter speeds (without just using B mode).
    So, I'll have to figure out how to install a new tripod mount on the bottom of the camera body.

The picture of the deck in snow is taken with the copal 1 shutter and the other with the vignetting is taken with the copal 0.

Attached Files:

14. bimaneg

bimaneg Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Davido you did really a nice job here, so the copal 1 looks perfect on it... maybe now if you want a vignetting like or similar to the old one try to put a step down ring on the holga lens and for the tripod socket take the old one nut and epoxygluing it on the base body