Holy Snow Batman

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Aggie, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok a few of you know the fun I have been having the last two days. Friday there was a healthy amount of snow that had fallen around us. This is not unusual for this area, but rarely occurs. It melted relatively fast, but more fell sporadically throughout the day. I waited until yesterday (Saturday) to Head up to Zion since We were supposed to get more of the white stuff overnight. Sure enough we got dumped on again. This time it was slowly melting. The few hundred feet in elevation change and the 20 miles to Zion made a big difference. The snow was not melting up there. I laughed tel I had to sit on a snow covered car at one point, the heavy wet snow has piled up in a tree and well as hubby said it chose that precise moment to crap on him as he walked under that tree. I actually didn't grumble the whole day while I shot roll after roll of film. Of course he had the digigizmo to keep him occupied. If people like I can upload one of his shots just to let you know how much we have gotten. I was so cold I came home and soaked my feet and went to bed. I haven't had time to develop the 21 rolls of film I shot off. Well I got up this morning and there must be frost in the ground. The snow is about 8 inches deep here in Hurricane Utah. That hasn't happened in the Old timers life times. It is steadily snowing so hard that you can't see the other side of the road. Time to crank up the 4X4 and take another spin up to Zion. The stark contrast of the red rock the white snow and actually brilliant greens was magnificant. Today I will take the color film with me. Dan says he is going to wear a hat today.

The weatherman says this is a 100 year storm, and won't let up until tomorrow with a slight chance of it snowing for a forth day.

2. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How do you get so lucky Aggie? Hope you get a lot of great shots!

3. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wasn't going to go out until my son who has never driven in snow got home. Funny to listen to a kid talk about snow covered freeways. At least he has listened to his mom's instructions about how to handle snow. He was very thankful when he got home. This end of the State, has no snow plows, and nothing to even put down sand and or salt. A 78 year old man who works with my son said it has never done this in this end of the state before. It always melts withing moments of the flakes hitting the ground. If it stops snowing so hard that I might be able to see the other side of the road from my front door, I might get out there today. This will at least give me time to develop some of that film. I think we have gotten 3 inches since I first reported this.

4. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just woke up to snow in Santa Fe!!! The first of the season.

5. mikeg

mikeg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Sounds great fun Aggie, we've just got about 4 or 5 inches of snow this morning which is the most we've had for years. No photos taken -- too busy building a snowman with the kids :wink:

Cheers

Mike

6. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The kids have been crying for snow all season.

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just looking out of my study window, Aggie it's snowing very hard, it started in the middle of last night its getting pretty deep, it's the first snow we have had this year and the Winter is nearly over, must be global warming we usually have more snow than this, but no doubt there will be traffic chose tomorrow because in this country the authauritys are always spectacularly unprepared for whatever kind of weather occurs.

8. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We even got a light dusting (maybe an inch or so) in Rio Rancho.It was nice to wake up to white. Of course, it's melting quickly, but it's better than what we've had.

9. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hey Aggie.
    I thought I'd send you down some of the Oregon weather I've had. It rained in sunny Southern Calif during the Conference and now you have snow. HA! I had lots of fun doing my walking in snow. Its even better photographing.

10. Bill Mitchell

Bill Mitchell Member

Snow? Is that the funny stuff that looks a lot like white beach sand?
    Bill (Sarasota, FL)

11. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll be thinking of you, Aggie, as I lounge on the beach in south Texas this week!! I shall raise a cold beer toast to all you snowy apuggers!

12. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    snowed on Les and I in Joshua Tree NP a couple of days ago. wind and dirt and a little rain have filled the truck.

lee\c

13. Jan Pietrzak

Jan Pietrzak Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ok,

Utah Snow country

Texas Snow country

New Mwxico Snow country

Part of Florida Snow country

15 miles North of Los Angeles, California Snow country Yes 1700/1800 ft up in the San Gabriels may be a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Almost 1pm starting to rain and it is 40F may be just may be

?????Jan??????

14. mark

mark Member

With the snow blowing as hard as it is it is hard to get a good meausrement here. Average measurement was a foot and more supposed to come tonight. Looks like the clouds finally stopped blowing into colorado and we might get the three more inches predicted tonight.

Now I just wish the wind would quit blowing.

Hoping for a snow day.

15. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Aggie
    did you stop to make some snow angels???

16. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Power went out about 3 hours ago. I am going to have to go to town to get gas for the generator.

17. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We haven't had snow here since I had the snowblower fixed. Best $300 I ever spent. :wink:

18. Shmoo

Shmoo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Verdugo Hills/Glendale Snow country???

19. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got back from Day two of tramping through the white stuff. I was knee deep at times. Mental note, water proof snowboots before using them. All the trails were closed in the canyon for good reason. You had to have 4x4 and chains to go up to the tunnels and through to the east side. I got sick of everytime I would stop fro a great shot, 20 more cars were following me and these hordes of digigizmoists would pile out to stand in a large group around me. Today I didn't see a single film camera. This historic event and besides one guy with his zone VI yesterday, I was the only one shooting film.

Robert Teague be proud of me, I shot 7 rolls of color today. I'll be up there again tomorrow with a lot more color and B&W film. I probably will melt of by tomorrow afternoon. It was snowing as I left though. The great white throne was plastered, and Cable Mt. had huge flows of ice cascading off the sides. All I can say is wow!

20. mark

mark Member

SNOW DAY!!!!!!!!! Work cancelled because of snow. WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO! Yes, teachers get excited about snow days too.

21. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about Angels Landing plastered with snow and ice? That was as close to a snow angel as I got. BTW, I willhave to send you the good negs to print since I'm not so equipped for color, yet.

22. Jan Pietrzak

Jan Pietrzak Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Shmoo,

YES SNOW IN THE VERDUGOS, on saturday I looked out the back and yes snow. I had been trying to do somthing late friday and most of saturday morning.

Snow twice in 5 years not much but still some white stuff. Last year it was 30 plus inches of rain from Late Dec to early Feb. It is nice to have a new roof $10,00 grumble, grumble. But it sure beats moving the bed 3 or 4 time at night just to keep dry.

I still love my house and where I live

Jan Pietrzak

23. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Must have been quite a storm, as we had snow down into the foothills of the Catalinas north of town. Don't have a 4x4, so I didn't try to get up into the mountains for a shot, but it sure was nice to look at from town. First real precipitation we've had in three months in Tucson, about time. tim

24. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You guys are getting all our snow. Please give it back. Thanks.

Signed,
    Stephanie

PS. You can keep some of it, I suppose.

:D