Home made E6 developing machne

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by kompressor, Jan 2, 2010.

1. kompressor

kompressor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. AlexG

AlexG Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm going to make one now - but only for B&W! Wish me luck!

lol

3. nick mulder

nick mulder Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thats a lot of work and $$$ if you're using it for stills ...

Pretty cool to see it go straight from the processor and into a wet gate telecine tho

ouch!

4. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Supercool! If only I had two right hands... :surprised:

5. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is "echt super"!

I'm building my own cine lab also. This shows a simpler design in terms of film path but it's also much smaller than mine. The downside is that the speed is lower. According to my tests and experience, I would estimate it's about 0,5 meter per minute which is too low for perfect processing.

BUT, this said;

This one is quite compact, seems to be quite reliable and is not too difficult to construct. And it seems to work, which is most important.

Thank you for sharing the youtube link. This is really cool. I have now a competitor :D.

6. TJ Krusinski

TJ Krusinski Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's awesome, overall, minus the electronics, it seems pretty simple.

7. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Project of all projects! Wow.

8. narigas2006

narigas2006 Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    insane! it would be cool for 120m of 16mm. For S8 cartridges I guess I'll keep the lomo tanks.

9. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The continuous lab I'm building is for 16mm and has enough dark space for at least 2000ft reel. It will process ECN-2, ECP-2, E6, BW and BW reversal, 8mm, 16mm and 35mm at lower speed. Just finished designing a new control panel unit. http://sorsa-tv.ath.cx/~antalh/elokuvalabra/panellijoo6.png :D. I hope to get it finished finally this year.

10. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    except he's drying it with a hairdryer...

Very cool but very slow. You have to add the time before the film reaches the chemistry and the time it takes to run out entirely. A couple of hours to process a 50 ft reel?

But if you sped it up you'd need more chemistry and a bigger machine...still cool.

11. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let's see now, wasn't someone saying we'd never be able to build a machine to process Kodachrome at home. Sure, it's a more complicated process than e6, but certainly this machine wasn't trivial.

Makes me want to break out that old brick of 120 I have in the freezer.

12. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You just have to make it many times as wide and then find the chemistry. The first one is simple. I think I'll just show up in kansas and beg to use their overflow...it seems like we've all acquired a brick of PKR 120...

13. nick mulder

nick mulder Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    120m of 16mm... sure!

But 120 ??

14. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodachrome processing is not a problem of machinery at all. Kodachrome could be processed even in small hand-agitated spiral tanks and removed from spirals two times for the reverse exposures. A small and simple machine (consisting of one stepper motor, motor driver, two leds, maybe some filters and some mechanics) - about the same size as normal processing tank - could do the exposures. The real problem lies in chemistry availability and cost and process control (processing quality). I mean, if you can't get perfectly the same results as you always with Kodachrome, then there's not so much point to shoot it at all as there are much easier E6 films available; Kodachrome shooters want a specific look.

15. Terrence Brennan

Terrence Brennan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I'm impressed, being a photographer with years of shooting experience and years of experience working in commercial labs, as well as a basement tinkerer.

As long as we have the person, or people, who designed and built that machine, who have the passion and desire to do so, analog will NEVER die.

I have seen videos of people who run overclocked processors (I believe that is the term), with cooling towers with liquid nitrogen, and the effects when the cooling tower is removed. For my money, that hand-made processor has got the modifications that the digoids make to their computers beat by a country mile.

16. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I have an upopened brick of 120 size. No place to process it. But I have the film.

It was dumped on eBay as a curiosity item. Can't remember how much it was, but it was a lot cheaper than a brick of 135 was selling at B&H at the time.

It looks great on the shelf next to a Brownie Hawkeye.

17. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    3 times if you include the remjet removal :tongue: